1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents evening on my day off?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Georgia99, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I work four days a week and have just been informed that I must be available for parents at the parents evening next week. This evening is on my non working day. There is also a Year 11 choices evening coming up and this is also on my non working day. I have also been told I must be present for this too.

Is it my obligation to attend parents and choices evenings even on my non working days when I am not paid? Although I guess that even if it was a working day I am not paid for the evening anyway.

Maybe I am moaning about nothing but it annoys me that I am having to work for free!!

2. The general guidance from unions is that you should be paid for attendance at parent evenings if this takes place on a non-working day.
    " Part-time teachers should be offered the opportunity (but are not required)
    to attend, with pay, all training days including staff/departmental meetings
    and parents?/open evenings, including those that take place on days when
    they do not normally teach."
    See: http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/consum/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=NASUWT_005517&RevisionSelectionMethod=latest&allowInterrupt=1
    James

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

As James says, you should be paid for it.
    If you are paid, I'd suggest it's worth doing if you can fit it in. If you can't do it, you'll often have to provide written feedback or make phone calls to parents who turned up and couldn't see you. (More likely if you teach a core subject.)
    And you won't be paid for those.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's perfectly possible for ateacher to have two or more p/t jobs, in teaching or doing something else.
    A school,can't insist on your attendance on a day when you aren't employed by them. The Head at the school where you are working that day, or another employer paying you that day, take precendence ... as does your right to not be doing any work at all because you're PART-TIME!
    If you agree to work those evenings, make sure it's with extra pay and make sure that you get the full supply hourly rate, which is annual salary divided by 975 (not by 1265) for each hour worked.
    The 975 calculation includes pro-rata holiday pay for the extra work. It applies to INSETS on the days you don't work too, if they want you to attend and you agree to.
    If all meetings and parents' evenings and INSETS end up being on your timetabled days in future years, you only have to attend the proportion that equates to your p/t contract. You either ask which ones they prefer you to attend or specify that you will attend all of them if they deem t necessary and will require pay for the extra sessions attended as they are not remunerated in your standard p/t contract.

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Thank you everyone for your replies. I half expected a reply saying that it was my duty as a teacher to attend so I am pleased that I am not making an issue for no reason.

I have told the school that I am unable to attend as it is my day off and I have other plans. I am waiting to hear the come back now and see if a fuss is made!! I am covering long term paternity leave and the permanent teacher told me before he went that he was always expected to attend parents and choices evenings on his days off but that he obliged without extra pay. So he has obviously set the standard of which I am not keen to follow!!