1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents evening on day off?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by minxyfish, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Hi again,
    I know I started a thread about this last week, but I still seem to be getting nowhere!
    There are two parents' evenings coming up at my college, both on my days off and I've been told I have to attend.
    I checked the Red Book (the T&C for 6th form colleges) and it clearly says there that there is no obligation to attend anything on your day off, including parents evenings - attendance should be by mutual agreement only.
    But I've emailed the college rep and she says we have to attend. All p/ters that she has spoken to say they always come in, and she says it's part of directed time.
    She's forwarded our email conversation to the regional rep, and I emailed the regional office myself yesterday, but no reply as of yet.
    What would happen if you had another job on those evenings? Would you be expected to cancel your shift etc? That doesn't apply to me, but if I have to go in I will have childcare issues, as my husband will have to be home early to allow me to get there on time (and lose money as he is self-employed).
    If I and my colleagues don't have to attend on the night, we will phone parents in our frees and oafter lessons on a day when we do work, so they will still have a consultation with us.
    My union rep has told me to take it up with personnel and the college principal, but before I do that I want to know exactly where I stand. Who is right?!
    Thanks
    Minxy

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You've answered your own question:

3. Thanks, Tafkam. How can I get my union rep to see sense though? Her reply to me was a little 'off', so I know that she feels that we should go in.

4. Thanks, Folkfan, I we are both waiting for a reply from the regional rep. I am 100% happy now that I was right, and she is giving out the wrong advice, so I feel confident in taking it further if need be.
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Minxy :)