1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents' Evening - new ideas?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by jonathandix, Feb 17, 2016.

1. jonathandix

jonathandix New commenter

Hi all

Is it just me or is parents evening a waste of time? No one really says what they think and the parents you want to come don't come.

What do you do? We have a few hours at the end of the school day but nothing new comes out. Need a new way of doing it. Ideas?

2. smartledore123

smartledore123 New commenter

I personally feel the updating does quite help at parents' evenings, and often students end up sharing more about their problems or areas they are struggling at to justify poor performance in front of parents.

Perhaps get special letters sent home for parents you would particularly like to see, or involve Head of Year/ another member of SLT? Of course this can be worrying for the student, but at the end of the day it is only for their best interests.

jonathandix likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Parents may turn up if they feel there is something worth listening too. I know the old argument of ' it's never the ones you need / want to see ' is valid but I don't think that this should affect your approach. If staff don't grasp nettles then they only have themselves to blame for maintaining the status quo (although I appreciate that telling it the way it is may not get the result you want.) The more you put in the more you get out- above all you need to be professional.

jonathandix likes this.
  4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

If the parents you want to turn up are not there then I think you have to be proactive.

1) Phonecall to them to ask them to make an appointment
    2) If they are not coming, there is nothing that can't be said over the phone.

I also think that there should be no surprises at parents' evening. It is not the only opportunity to ever talk to parents.

jonathandix likes this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Parents evenings are long and sometimes tedious. However, they are a useful chance to get the parents on side and working with you to help the child do as well as theory can. It is a good chance to humanise what you do.
    It is true that you never get to see Billy Wriggle's parents, but you can work with the ones who come in.
    Best thing is to provide solutions as well as problems, rather than 'Billy's a workshy hoodlum' (which they usually know already), have two or three targets for improvement.
    I once enjoyed watching a mother whacking son with the chain handle of her handbag as they left the discussion

jonathandix likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Don't waste time on target setting days!

Never were the fruits of bovine intestinal tracts rubbed so much in faces!

jonathandix and FrankWolley like this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's not a waste of time. The parents feel reassured and like they have contributed in some way which makes them smile benevolently on you for another few months. The children see a visible point of contact between home and school.

jonathandix likes this.