1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents evening / how long do you keep details?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by md1789, Jul 2, 2015.

1. I have been asked for a list of those that attended an evening back in October 2014 and to recall a conversation I had with a parent. I do not have those details.

To cut a long story very short -

Do you keep list of parents would attended after the event? If yes hiw long?

Do you keep records of conversation with everychild (some I do but the key word is every).

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Usually a tick on the schedule sheet - and not very long (maybe a week or 2 at most).

No. I only ever noted down actions I needed to take or information I needed/I needed to pass on to colleagues about a pupil...

3. Nope never did unless it was something major ie safeguarding etc

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I tended to keep all notes from Parents' Evenings, and other times that contact was made, for the time that I had the class. I just glued my notes (they were usually on a piece of A4 paper) into the back of my Mark Book.

5. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Parents sign in so school keep a log! I record a 'to do list ' and when it's actioned I throw it away. Makes sense though to keep a record. If you've not be told to do so, they can hardly make a big deal of it.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think you are talking from a primary school perspective though. My reading of the post was a secondary teacher (may be wrong) I don't keep notes, no. I do keep copies of any written report I send though so I always have them at hand.

7. Many thanks to all. I can conclude that I am no different from others - keeping notes - but not keeping time and attendance list. Thank You TallTales for this reminder.

8. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

For the last few years, I have kept a 'Day Book' with contemporaneous details of every conversation with parents, pupils and staff which instinct tells me might possibly come back to bite me on the bum.

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Such records I never kept, although a colleague working in a support area of school swore by keeping a record of every conversation with SLT in his log book, which he claimed saved his skin several times.

It seems that your school are happy for the wanton destruction of the Amazon to micromanage everything. You may have to, from now on, keep records of parents evenings etc. And SLT should make this clear if this is what they want.

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

What is the world coming to?

11. Hey let's just make everything easier and record everything on our phones or similar!

No one has ever asked me to keep records from parents evenings and I've never seen a policy document on one either. In any event if something has come up about something that happened 8 months ago I'd argue why nothing was said sooner.

12. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I do keep the lists and notes made to tell parents and notes made while taking to parents. But just for that academic year. I just file them and forget about them unless actions need to be taken. But I can understand if you don't keep them. I can be quite anal.

13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I found that as I left the school hall, there was a handy receptacle where I could file the majority of the paperwork. The caretaker then put it somewhere safe - I think the council filed it away in a big yellow lorry.

We briefly had a computerised system for making and recording appointments. It worked well but not in the hall as the wireless network didn't reach there and there weren't enough power sockets and most staff laptops had failed batteries.

14. I will be taking a leaf out of VR book and keep a daily record of every conversation especially the ones with those above. I suspect a daily pod cast will follow, recording from the moment I get into the car park at 7.30 to the moment I leave at 5.30.

I suspect I'll find out the reason for this request sooner rather than later.

Thank you once again.

On checking today no one has been asked to take notes of every conversation nor keep their timings...only me!

15. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Last year, before my departure from full time teaching, a parent made a huge complaint and amongst her bogus issues were two complaints about a parents' evening that had taken place some 5 months previously. She whinged that my appointments were running late (as were everyone's!) and also that I gave out of date feedback on coursework that was 'old' (I actually gave feedback on the mock exam, completed just 9 days previously).

Naturally, I hadn't kept any notes and my HOD being an uber-b1tch threw me under the bus.

Ridiculous.

16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I suppose you could always ask, when smt talk to you about this, to see their own parent's evening notes so that you can see what you were supposed to do. It would be interesting to know what they can produce ;-)

17. RaggyBull

RaggyBull New commenter

I never keep any record of them or have ever been asked to do so.

18. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

Always. But brief. I've never been told to, but I'd recommend making a record and keeping it for a year.

it's easy to note action points on a class list as you speak to the parents. I also note any concerns mentioned by parents as these can be referred to when writing the full report at the end of the year. If parents are happy with the information I give them and don't make any meaningful comment, I just write 'ok'. If there's a no-show, I note that fact.

19. May2

May2 Established commenter

When my school went into RI this was another extra bit of paperwork the interim Head introduced. We were all given 3 A4 sheets with about 10 boxes on to fill in info after talking to each parent. It was meant to be a brief comment but something for each child as you went along during the evening. For many there really wasn't anything to say other than all ok parents happy. They were then filed away with class records stuff never to be read again. By the 2nd parents evening after this system was introduced, I got to the end of the evening and realised I had forgotten to write anything after the first two parents. I left it and didn't write anything. I didn't find it useful.

If there was ever an important problem with a parent I would always mention it to the Head afterwards (this is primary school) and if there was anything useful to be noted, such as some personal family issue or any problems the child was having, or I was having with the child and informed parent etc, then I would keep my own note of it.

This just seemed another example of not trusting the teachers professionalism and wanting to do something else to show consistency throughout the school without benefitting anyone.

Sorry just my opinion!

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Paper work cuts both ways. If there is a specific expectation that you retain this information it should be written into a policy somewhere. Ask the management for their record of the policy. If they've got it - you're stuffed.