1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents evening date change

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dixie82, Jun 11, 2011.

1. If we can't make a parents evening our head lets us either make our own appointments on another night, or just do it over the phone!! Not sure what your rights are, but your head could be reasonable like ours!

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Union guidance is that events should be in the calendar at the beginning of the year. I won't go into my feelings about the HT's reasons for changing the date. However, if you have another engagement you can't make it and you shouldn't be compelled to attend. In fact, in your position, I'd say I had another engagement anyway...

3. At the risk of identifying the innocent, a teacher of my acquaintance had arranged her daughter's birthday party for e.g. Tuesday, the day of her birthday, the parents' evening having been arranged for the week before. Because a snow day made it impossible for the parents' evening to go ahead, the HT moved it on a week without any sort of consultation, announcing in briefing that he expected everyone to be there.
    The teacher gave each of her pupils a letter to take home explaining the situation, enclosing a telephone number and promising that she would be available at any time should they have anything they needed to discuss with her in person.
    Not one parent had anything they needed to discuss with her in person. The HT went ballistic. [​IMG]

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Given the Head has changed the date to deliberately undermine the impact of Union action, I'd be tempted to be as awkward as possible about it, especially if I was in a striking union. Why should you reschedule at such short notice?

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm sorry....you have OTHER things to do outside of teaching? What is this nonesense?

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Thanks for the advice and I will see the Head on next week about this.

I am in one of the two unions potentially taking strike action on that date but agree that the date change could be seen as a deliberate attempt to undermine union action.

7. Same thing happened at our place last year. The date had been in the diary since Sept but somehow it was decided by SLT that it would be changed, only they didn't think to tell the rest of us. When the change was highlighted, the new date was a day I had theatre tickets. I simply said I couldn't do the new date as I had plans. I didn't elaborate on what they were as it really is none of their business. It was accepted, as I explained that I was still available for the orginal date, but wasn't available on the new date. They just put a sign up to say I was absent on the evening. All you have to do is say you are not free on the new date. End of story! If they say that you need to make alternative arrangements to meet parents, tell them you are still available on the original date and are happy to see them then-and don't offer to do any contacting in your own time!
    As they are trying to avoid any possible strike action, I think he might find himself in breach of union rules!