1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents evening and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by joeym, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Can anyone advise - we have late parents evenings till 8 over 2 nights, is it viable to request to start my parents evening earlier. I just don't think I can physically do it. I have been very sick during this PG and I dread the idea of trying to cope through 2 nights of this with parents..

cheers all

2. Can anyone advise - we have late parents evenings till 8 over 2 nights, is it viable to request to start my parents evening earlier. I just don't think I can physically do it. I have been very sick during this PG and I dread the idea of trying to cope through 2 nights of this with parents..

cheers all

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Are you primary? If so why not ask if you could do it over 3 or 4 nights but not to stay so late. What time are you due to start the parents evening? You could start a bit earlier too.

If you're secondary then it may be harder to change things as appointments will not just be with you.

4. I think it would depend on your headteacher and how generally sympathetic and accommodating they are. However, if you're not well enough to be in school then you should be off sick; if you are well enough then you shouldn't get special treatment due to pregnancy. Lots of people find staying until 8pm difficult - they might themselves be unwell, have children or other dependents to care for at home, etc. It's just part of the job and very inconvenient for parents if they really need to discuss something with you but arrive at 7.30 to be told "sorry, Miss -- didn't stay because she's pregnant".

5. You may feel better as the pregnancy progresses so don't jump the gun just yet. Your headteacher may be sympathetic and enable you to do your parents evening in a different way eg, over more nights or with some telephone conversations. You can ask but you they can also say no.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

If, on the day, you feel too tired, just tell your you are unwell and go home. Funnily enough the world won't change if you aren't there...

BTW hs your school offered a risk assessment on you now you are pregnant? If not, suggest 'over-long' days are a risk...

7. p eve starts at 5 til 7.30 but goes on till around 8.....and we usually get staff meeting in the same week also...head last year let teacher go to see her children in an event they trained for...scheduled p eve using co-ordinators release time etc...

8. As a pregnant teacher you should have a risk assessment. Ask your head if you can change the times of your appointments and if not bring it up as part of the risk assessment.
    I don't agree that no changes should be made for you 'just becasue you're pregnant'. There are lots of things that I am no longer allowed to do at school becasue I'm preganant and I also have to ensure I have breaks and rest periods.
    In response to the previous poster who said parents would turn up to be told you'd gone home becasue you're pregnant. Surley you'd know in advance that you wouldn't be there so wouldn't make the later appointments?

9. I am also pregnant and there are very few things that I am no longer allowed to do because I am pregnant. I can't handle radioactive materials and some chemicals but I did break duty until I was forced to give it up. I am very much of the view that pregnancy is not an illness and should nt be treated as such, also that risk assessments should be flexible and take into account individual circumstances and changes in those. I wouldn't want to be given a generic 'you are no longer allowed to do this because you're pg'. If i feel able to do things I will, I think this is a good attitude for all pg women. If someone is unwell then they are unwell whether that is pregnancy related or not. Women have been having babies under far worse circumstances than many of us are currently.
    To the OP, how are you feeling now your pregnancy is progressing? Has the sickness improved?

10. RKM

RKM

I've had no risk assessment done, and when I told the head I was pregnant, all she was bothered about was how much maternity leave i was taking. When I told her she basically said "oh so basically the whole academic year" in very unimpressed tone.
    I have found that management dont give a **** if your pregnant. Luckly my dept are excellent. Our last couple of timetables has meant that we have had to share classes. This had enabled me to take the earlier appointments the later appointments done by the other member of staff.
    Back to the point about management, during my1st preganancy management really didnt give a ****. I was 7months gone and I was given a group of 15 boys to basically babysit as they werent doing exam. We were on a split site at the time. Due to exams i was put into another a DT construction classroom. The main part was ok, there were desks and chairs so it was bearable. However the boys found that the painting and decorating room was unlocked, they went into the room and basically trashed it. I was not prepared to go in there and stop them. There was no access to a phone so I had to go out and find another member of staff to come and help. The 1st question I was asked "why didnt i lock the room?" i was then told I shouldnt of left the group and should of tried to diffuse the situation.
    If management dont give a **** about supporting you, then you should just look oout for number 1!!!