1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

parents evening and pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam, Feb 24, 2016.

1. iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam

iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam New commenter

thought I would share this as I find it incredible:
    I am part time. Parents evenings fall on my day off. I am expected to attend. I normally do supply on my days off so asked to be paid rather than accept time in lieu which I have in the past. (I cannot get to school from supply in time and have lost supply work in the past)Told no, school cant afford to pay me, have to take time in lieu, or if I choose not to attend spend the next 2 weeks staying till 1730 every night phoning parents. Hobson's choice or over a barrel.

2. sjk17

sjk17 New commenter

Why not just offer to run your parent's evening on a day when you are in?

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

In my school parents' evenings always run on a particular day. P/T staff come in for them. I think that in doing so they use it to make up the directed time of the staff meetings etc. that they miss

This really has to be directed at your union for clarification. I understand your point of view totally. I just don't know the legal position.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Parents' Evenings are part of the job. If you are part-time you cannot expect the school to run to the convenience of your other work. I think they are generous in offering you time in lieu - they already pay you for the hours as part of your normal work.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

No, parents' evenings hours on non-work days are NOT already paid as part of her normal work.

She cannot be required to attend parents' evenings on days she does not normally work. She may choose to do so - on a voluntary basis or for TOIL or for payment - but if she chooses not to, she cannot be made to do so.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on STPCD conditions of employment it says:

53.9. Subject to paragraph 53.10., no teacher employed part-time may be required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of any day of the week on which the teacher is not normally required to be available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other duties or for the sole purpose of performing other duties).

53.10. ... a part-time teacher may be required to carry out duties, other than teaching pupils, outside school sessions on any day on which the teacher is normally required to be available for work (whether the teacher is normally required to be available for work for the whole of that day or for only part of that day).

If you are in academy not on STPCD your employment contract could be different. So as advised by others they cannot require you to come in for this parents evening.

It's common for schools to say that staff who cannot get to the parents evening should make other arrangements to see parents at some other time. In my school we don't insist the teacher phones every parent. We send the parents a letter inviting the parents to call in and make an appointment.

Would making the phone calls be within your Directed Time? If so then I think the school is entitled to require you to do this.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Primary/secondary? Class(es) shared with another teacher, or taught only by you?

If primary, the teacher who teaches them on that day can do the parents' evening. I'm sure you communicate enough about the class that they can pass on anything you'd want to say, and they can no doubt keep notes at the evening so any concerns are shared with you. If secondary, and the class concerned is split between you and another teacher, the same applies. Usually any imbalance in workload between the two teachers can be addressed when it comes to sharing out report-writing or other tasks.

If secondary, and you are the only teacher of the class for that subject, then you are the only person who can supply what's needed, and there's an argument for the phone-calls-in-lieu. However, unless you are a core subject, it's unlikely that all parents will want to be bothered; usually by the time they've spoken to six teachers at parents evening, they have a good enough picture, and they probably don't want to be interrupted at work to be told much the same again. So I'd go with Rott Weiler's suggestion that a phone call should be offered rather than insisted upon. You could suggest that, in order that you don't ring parents at an inconvenient time, an e-mail goes out to them to invite them to say in which of two/three slots they would like to be called. That might go down better with the school than suggesting explicitly that you don't need to ring everybody! No response, no phone call - and I would predict a low level of response.

The other option sometimes used in secondary is to have a form available at parents evening for parents to write down any queries for absent teachers - the absent teacher will then contact them in response. I don't think many requests are usually made.

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Buuuuuttttt it also needs to not exceed the proportional PT equivalence of duties outside of the school session blah blah blah. So not as simple as 'is there enough directed time left?'

GLsghost likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Almost certainly a waste of time if the parents work - they'll either be at work or commuting home at that time!

Sounds like a threat to make the OP attend parents' evenings on days they don't work!

10. iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam

iamsnotwhoyouthinkiam New commenter

I was not told to phone. It would be suggested and there would be guilt if I didn't. The comment about 1730 was an oblique reference to the difficulty of contacting parents.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'd assumed that OP's Directed Time had been set legally so had complied with that requirement, but thanks for the reminder @Crowbob - assumptions can be dangerous!

It's the next STPCD clause after the two I posted above:

53.11. The total amount of time that the teacher may be required to be available to carry out duties, other than teaching pupils, outside school sessions under paragraph 53.10, when expressed as a proportion of the total amount of time that the teacher would be required to be available for such work if employed in the same post on a full-time basis, must not exceed the equivalent of that proportion of total remuneration that the teacher is entitled to be paid under paragraphs 42 and 43.