1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents evening and no child care!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bunnyrabbit, Jan 30, 2011.

1. It is parents' evening next week, and I am really struggling to make arrangements for my young children. I work 0.5, mon tue and wed am. The first parents' evening is on the Tuesday. 5 - 7pm,( however last year it was half past eight before I actually left school). The second is on the Wednesday, 3.30 - 6pm. Usually it would not be too much of a problem, but my husband will be overseas, and we have no family anywhere near us (closest 130miles).
    I do have a childminder, and my children are usually collected at 5.15. My childminder does not work later than 6pm as she has her own commitments. On the Wednesday, I do not have any child care in place, as I collect from school, and my child minder has no spaces.
    I may be able to make arrangements for my children to go to a friend's house, but it is difficult trying to find someone to have 2 children, especially as that is bed time (my children are 4 and 6). What I am wondering is, can I walk out at 7pm (the timetabled finish for the last appointment), even if parents are still waiting? And for the Wednesday, as it is not my working time, do I have to attend? I do have a job share teacher, who can do the Wednesday, but it is expected that we both attend. Or could I take my children with me, and hope that they sit quiet for the whole time?
    I live too far from school to be able to drive back home, so even if I could find a babysitter (we rarely go out, so do not have a babsitter!), that would not help! Oh and should I claim for payment for the extra hours for the Wednesday parents evening, and the 'trapped time' in the Wednesday afternoon??

2. It is parents' evening next week, and I am really struggling to make arrangements for my young children. I work 0.5, mon tue and wed am. The first parents' evening is on the Tuesday. 5 - 7pm,( however last year it was half past eight before I actually left school). The second is on the Wednesday, 3.30 - 6pm. Usually it would not be too much of a problem, but my husband will be overseas, and we have no family anywhere near us (closest 130miles).
    I do have a childminder, and my children are usually collected at 5.15. My childminder does not work later than 6pm as she has her own commitments. On the Wednesday, I do not have any child care in place, as I collect from school, and my child minder has no spaces.
    I may be able to make arrangements for my children to go to a friend's house, but it is difficult trying to find someone to have 2 children, especially as that is bed time (my children are 4 and 6). What I am wondering is, can I walk out at 7pm (the timetabled finish for the last appointment), even if parents are still waiting? And for the Wednesday, as it is not my working time, do I have to attend? I do have a job share teacher, who can do the Wednesday, but it is expected that we both attend. Or could I take my children with me, and hope that they sit quiet for the whole time?
    I live too far from school to be able to drive back home, so even if I could find a babysitter (we rarely go out, so do not have a babsitter!), that would not help! Oh and should I claim for payment for the extra hours for the Wednesday parents evening, and the 'trapped time' in the Wednesday afternoon??

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Is this a Primary or a Secondary School ?

4. Oh sorry, it is a Primary school.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You really need to talk to the head about this issue. It may be that you can come to some arrangement about seeing some/all parents immediately after school on a series of days - I'm surprised you haven't already done this.

6. Thanks!! The dates for parents evening were given to us at the start of the acaedemic year. I only realised this weekend that there would be a problem, as I did not know my husband would be away. It all depends if the parents want to see both teachers together. At the parents evening earlier this year, we did one evening each, and there were some 'issues' that could have neen beter addressed if we both had been there. Trry and sort it tomorrow!

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

As you are 0.5, you should only be expected to attend half of the meetings and parents' evenings and only on days when you work.
    You should not have to attend the Wednesday evening session even though you work on a Wednesday as your work session is in the morning. You could easily have another p/t job that timetabled you for Wednesday afternoon and that school would be entitled to direct you to attend Wednesday after-school/evening sessions.
    If you are prepared to attend the Wednesday session, I'd speak to the Head and say that you can only do so if you can bring your children along and leave at 7pm, as timetabled. You should also then claim for the second return journey to school and make sure that the school does not exceed your 632.5 Directed Time Hours for the school year.

8. If I were you I would be very careful in accepting jubilee's advice at face value as it directly contradicts written advice on this very subject recently issued by a large LA.
    Take the earlier advice and go talk to your HT about this.

9. Will talk to head tomorrow. The parents evening is actually the following week, just need to sort out appointments this week. See how my job share partner is fixed too for coming in on the Tuesday with me, then if we are over running, I can make a swift exit, after ofcourse, excusing myself! Thanks for replies!

10. Will talk to my head tomorrow. The parents evenings are actually the following week, just need to sort out appointments this week. Will also see if my job share partner can also do the Tuesday with me, so if we are over running, at least there will be one teacher there! Thanks for replies!

11. Jubilee, how would that work if the majority of teachers in a school are part time? If one school in my area tried this, there would be some staff meetings that no-one attended as all the teachers (inc the HT!) are part time!

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The head would ensure that parents' evenings are distributed over different days of the week. The Head could also seek agreement from p/t staff to attend on their non-working days, in exchange for additional pay.
    The Head, even if p/t, would not be subject to maximum Directed Time (neither would other members of SMT.

13. netmum

netmum New commenter

You can' t be directed to attend parents evenings etc that fall on days you don;t normally work.
    My husband used to work 0.4 and did indeed have another job the rest of the time. Very occasionally he could swop around but not always. He taught music so this issue arose a lot with regards to concerts etc.

14. You can be directed to attend parents evenings etc on days you do work, even if you only work in the morning.

15. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Tip 1: Don't over-run!
    I've never understood how teachers can get so far behind in their appointments. If you can't control how long you talk for, then make longer appointments over additional days. But better still, stick to the few minutes they get - if parents are desperate to speak in more detail, they can always make a later appointment; most won't.

16. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Agreed Tafkam...it's so frustrating when your own appointments run behind because the English teachers talk so much!!!

17. Thanks for tips!! will try and keep on time!! We have the meetings in our classroom, closed doors, and I feel that is not the best set up. In other schools we have used the hall, and all parents sit in the middle, and no one over runs!! In my childrens school, the Y6 children knock on the door with the next parent. Anyway, hope to have childcare sorted, one of the TA's has offered to run a creche, and is happy for mine to stay for the 2 hours. Hope they are well behaved!

18. Wow can't believe how much part-timers moan. I work full time, and don't get paid for all the extra hours I work after school and weekends, and I don't get paid more over running at parents evening! Why do part-timers always think they should get paid extra for doing extra work, when full-timers do extra work too?!?

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You're missing the point! Part timers also have to do extra hours, beyond Directed Time Hours (pro-rata) to complete their duties (planning, assessment etc). They will be doing that outside their contracted hours, either on their unpaid weekdays or in the evening or at weekends.
    They get paid proportionately less than full timers and have a commensurate reduction in their Directed Time and in their requirement to attend meetings etc (all pro-rata to their contract time).
    Why would it be fair for someone on 0.5 pay to have to do the same hours of meetings, parents evenings etc as a full timer?

20. henriette

henriette New commenter

I also (F/t HoD) have childcare issues over parents' evenings.

In the past I have just told the students that I cannot see anyone's parents after x o'clock as I have to collect the children from the minder: all parents have understood and not one has complained.

Now they are older oi/h drops them off at school on his way to teach his evening class and they have to hover: brilliant for stopping the parents from "chatting"!!