1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents evening after contract ends

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by laurahaigh941, May 23, 2018.

?

Should I be expected to attend parents evening if it will be after my contract has ended?

Poll closed May 30, 2018.
  1. Yes

2.9%
  2. No

97.1%
  1. laurahaigh941

laurahaigh941 New commenter

Hi,

I am doing maternity cover for a nursery and my contract ends mid next week. I will possibly be carrying on by doing supply for them.
    The week after I have been informed it is parents evening and I am unsure if I am expected to attend if I am no longer contracted to work.

I also have a lot of paperwork that needs to be competed during work time before the end of my contract. I am trying to compete it but we are not given very much planning time at all. Would I also be expected to finish this before my last day as I don't think I will be given the time to?
    I am not great at confrontation but would like some advice on how to sort this out.
    Thank you in advance!

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

As far as the parents' evening goes, perhaps (after you've left) spend an hour or so making a few notes on each child and send them on to SLT or your replacement, whoever is attending in your place. I don't think they can ask you to come yourself. Of course, if they offer you money to attend, that's different!
    The paperwork needs to be done, however. You may have to work in your own time to get it finished.
    I think you would be sensible to speak to whoever is in charge with whatever offer of work you feel to be appropriate, and go from there. You may need to negociate.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would quietly expect not to attend parents' evening, unless they ask you and pay you.
    It's worth talking to your management about the paperwork, what's most important and how they're planning for you to finish it.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #3.

As you hope for some supply work, you might want to offer to come as a good will gesture, of course.

gingerhobo48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No need for confrontation.

Don't mention Parents' Evening. Don't go. If they mention it? Say casually the you think £60 should cover it as you'd consider it to be about half a school day.

The paperwork? Look mournful and tell them you don't know how you'll ever finish it and what should you prioritise? See what they come up with.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This would seem to be a non-confrontational strategy, if you get time to do it.

sabrinakat and install like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I must say I would certainly be unhappy if the school appeared to "expect" me (the word used in the poll) to do so.

If school were to ask me very nicely well in advance if I would graciously condescend to do so. And if the school were generally a lovely place to work. And if I were to hope to continue my connection with them? Then I might decide it would be a good idea to concede.

But if they just assumed? Not a chance.

They have to have the right attitude if I'm to reciprocate.

8. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Leave some notes for the teacher taking over.

gingerhobo48, install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If your contract finishes, but you are carrying on doing the exact same job and hours but as a supply teacher, then showing willing by hopping along to parents eve might be the good and decent thing to do.

However if the supply thing is merely the odd day here and there as they need, then no of course you shouldn't go.

10. install

install Star commenter

If you are unsure then don't ask. Your contract will have ended anyway - so you should not be there and most likely will not be legally covered if anything goes wrong.:cool:

grumpydogwoman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Go to a mirror and look closely at your face.
    Can you see "Mug" written on there?

If not, then don't go to Parents' evening. Leave some notes, but don't show up.

No pay no show. That's my motto.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Will you not be "working elsewhere" once your contract ends? ;)

Marisha, gingerhobo48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Didn't you mean "ϱυM"

14. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Genius, blazer.

gingerhobo48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

*gasp*... someone's voted Yes!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

Probably the headmaster!

17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Were you informed routinely along with other staff members, or do you think this was aimed at making you think you should go? I think that makes a big difference.

If you are doing supply and it suits you, why not offer to go, making it clear that you expect to be paid? If that doesn't suit you, then say nothing unless somebody else brings it up first. I doubt if there is a problem with being legally covered if you do go. As a supply teacher, you have as much right to be there as anybody else.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Two people when I looked.

19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

HT and DHT?

(Or the supply agency that will charge the school, but keep the money?)