1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parents' consultations for reception class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mystery10, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Exactly! I didn't need a clipboard or a mountain of paperwork to know the individual children in my care

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Hi Msz, thanks for that. How do you read the final point -"giving a reasonable opportunity....... " - do you think this means before it is signed and sealed so to speak, or just a chance for the practitioner to talk about it with the parents ...... so it could happen late in the final term after everything has been submitted to LA, after it has been passed on to Year 1 teacher etc.

3. Msz

We normally feed back to parents after the points have been submitted to the LA but we continue to update the profile until the end of term in reception (when they are passed onto Y1) and use it in Y1 for those children who have not achieved 1-8 in any area.

4. I think mystery10 that maybe you're caught up in trying to ensure the veracity of the 'final ' points score for you child for all he reasons you outlined before. I am just sorry that is has got to you, this way of thinking, she is not yet five -or maybejust- and already the competitive acheiving and failing demon, has sown his seeds of doubt in the early childhood garden and you are there now in the full fox-hunt of, beating about the bush trying to set his tail on fire and get him to reveal his true colours, show his true form, his defintive streak towards the one chance in life he might get to make it or not. What does this system turn us into?

5. Msz

I usually give a summary of the type of things children have been doing over the year. Our parents never ask for "scores"

6. Can I take it from your tad 'over egging of the pudding' missive that either you don't work in this country, don't work at all, have a chip on your shoulder about nothing serious or are rather slightly obssessed with a perceived educational abuse and torture of modern day reception class children.
    Please if you do respond keep it brief I rarely read any post that is more than one paragraph and not even that if it is self-centred navel-gazing like so many of your posts

7. mystery10

I thought you were a reformed character![​IMG]

8. Oh for a 'like' button ;-)

9. No, you can't take any of those as being true really, or at least as much truth as can be gleaned about your interest and experience in working with young children Good luck though in your reading, maybe you'll be able to apss through the eye of the naval one day and see something useful to say.

10. too long and too pointless

11. well if camels can then so can you. Try it, its an interesting journey. The point is at the other end from the eye

12. mystery10

Msz, you say you never tell parents profile points, and they never ask, but you do tell them about a range of things the children can do.
    So if a parent looked on that summary sheet for the profile points that you can get off the internet - the one that gives a brief description of what is needed for each profile point - would they be able to roughly guess for themselves what point you thought they were on?
    For one of my children I did ask for the profile points, but long after the event, so it wasn't the reception class teacher I was requesting it from, it was the school. (So if the teacher had been you, you would possibly never know that I had asked[​IMG])

The reason I asked was because I never had even a rough idea what the teacher had seen my child being able to do in any of the profile areas ---- despite two parents' evenings and a written report. And I was still a bit baffled part way into year 1 so I thought this might help to demystify things a little.
    Do you think that if your parents knew that there were profile points they would ask for them (at some point, not necessarily to you if they have the feeling that you would say no).

13. We have one in the first term (second half term), one which is coming up next week and one in the final term. I always write a little 'report' - nothing over long or too taxing, but I just find it helpful as the meetings are so short it helps me to focus, and parents can add comments and sign it too which avoids any "well you never told me that" type problems later, which unfortunately at my school can happen quite regularly.
    In the first term the meeting will take the form of me asking the parent how they feel the child is settling and giving them chance to ask any questions or raise any issues, obviously some parents will already have done so at dropping off/ home time and at other points, but some parents do prefer this setting. Then I'll give my impressions of how I think the child has settled, whether they are mixing well with other children, how much they contribute to class and group activities, that sort of thing. So mainly focusing on the PSED side of things, though I'll mention things like phonics, understanding of number and so on where relevant, and I'll give any next steps if there are any. Often they are just things like be able to put on and fasten own coat, or it might be a good chance to talk about anything the parents could be doing at home in terms of reading, playing games with turn-taking etc.

In the second one it will have, for most children, less of a PSED focus as I'm in a setting where generally the children's social and language skills are not to bad, and they are normally pretty well settled, have made friends, can follow the rules and routines of the setting, are able to choose activities and work independently etc by this point in the year. If that's not the case, as it won't be for some children, I'll of course focus on that in the parents' meeting. Otherwise I'll briefly summarise a child's attainment in CLLD and PSRN. I know all the areas of learning are 'equal' and that it's not all about those two (although personally I find PSED and CLLD the most important) but those are the ones every parent will ask about, and want to know, so I do make sure I give that information. Again I'll mention any strengths, and next steps, and parents can comment on the little report and sign it.

In the final meeting parents receive the 'final report' which is the previous two put together with a slightly more detailed one for the last term.

We don't give out profile scores as a matter of course but I wouldn't have a problem sharing the information if asked, it wouldn't mean a lot to most of our parents but to some it might. I find the overwhelming majority of parents want to know "Ae they happy? Do they have friends? Are they behaving?" and not much more, but for those who want more information I'm happy to provide it.
    I do find the Learning Journeys useful for that purpose (we have them available at parent's evening, and parents can ask to see them at other times too). I know a lot of people don't agree with them, and they are a lot of work (which I do in my own time not school time). For the record I don't bother with long narrative observations that much, unless there is a particular child I really need some information on or a particular issue I'm looking at. Generally my LJs are post its and short observations, photos, samples of children's work, and we also get the parent's contributions in the form of 'wow' cards. The children like to look at them, and for some it does really inspire them to try different things because they want to put it in their special book. Parents appreciate them too, and because I annotate them it can help to explain why I've made the judgements I have about aspects of a childs attainment, and more generally I think it has helped parents to see that there is method in my madness, I'm not letting the children 'just play' because I can't be bothered to do the "proper work" - mine is a school that has gone from being very formal to a more CI based approach in foundation stage, it's been a long journey and we've struggled at times with parent's perceptions. Things have improved dramatically as we've been able to explain what we're doing and why, and show that actually the children are still achieving, and the LJs have helped with this. They also do help me to spot areas or children where I might not know enough or have gaps I need to fill in. And mainly, our SMT say we have to do them and I'm not in a position to argue really :)

14. mystery10

Thank you, that is very helpful.

15. Msz

I give a detailed summary of what the child can do as required by EYFS (both written and verbal) I discuss what the child does and what they will be doing in Y1 and anything the parent can do to support them - read regularly - count how many stairs to bed - notice numbers - visit the climbing frame at the park ...
    I most certainly would know if the teacher had been me.
    The parents know there are profile points because I explain carefully how the system work ...but they would rather talk about their child than numbers.

16. mystery10

That's really interesting. I would rather talk about my child than numbers too. But as there was no info forthcoming (and I'm pretty much expecting the same this time round) the numbers are useful as I can then look on the profile summary and guess what my child might have done!!