1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parental Responsibility.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Nov 5, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I am not sure how it came about but I was reading about parental responsibility where the relationship has broken down between an unmarried couple. I came across a problem whereby a mother was distraught because the father had taken the child for the weekend and not returned the him after 4 days and was refusing to do so. The police said that they could not do anything because they had joint parental responsibility. This is to me is crazy - who the hell made up this law? What about the emotional well being of the child in this case?

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

The mother might be distraught, but was the child happy with the father while they were away?
    Unfortunately, the children are used as bargaining chips and weapons between two warring parents. God knows what the emotional damage to the child is.

HelenREMfan and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Indeed he does. He is all knowing and all seeing. We can only do our best to fulfill his expectations.

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I see.

lindenlea likes this.
  5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

What's the difference in this circumstance between a married and an unmarried couple?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Or he'll do...what? Intervene?

theworm123 and knitone like this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Don't forget all better-not-get-involved-ing.

EDIT - oops - Calpurnia made that comment some time ago. Note to self: read the entire thread before replying.

8. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I think he puts you on the naughty list and to get a lump of coal in your stocking. But I could be mixing him up with someone else,noI come to think of it.

les25paul likes this.
  9. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Well isn’t it when the day of judgement arrives? When is that by the way?

10. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Ask Dunteachin. She brought the religious angle into it.

11. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

12. delmamerchant

I was just quite surprised by such a law. It made me think how awful it must be for a child to go to visit a parent one day and then discover that they may not see the other parent for some time as they are being used.

13. delmamerchant

From what I read. During the divorce proceedings something called a residential order or some such thing is put in place that states where the child lives.

14. delmamerchant

Yes, some head teachers:):):)

15. delmamerchant

16. delmamerchant

Think you mis understood.