1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parental Permission for Literary texts - HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'English' started by louise_emma, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Hey!
    I really need some advice....
    I've got a top set year 7 group who are currently working at secure level 6 and some touching level 7!!! Obviously, our choices of novels for year 7 are limited and so therefore I want to stretch them.
    I am looking at studying 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' but I really need to obtain parental permission first due to the explicit language in the text. Has anyone ever written one of these letters? If so, could you please offer advice on how to word it?

2. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hi louise_emma
    Can't you find a book that doesn't contain explicit language? My daughter starts Yr 7 in September and I wouldn't want her to read 'The Curious Incident. . . ' Have you considered alternative texts that can help you meet your LOs? I can understand your point that book choices for Yr 7 are limited, but surely there must be other books that are maybe Yr8 or Yr9 material but which don't contain explicit language. E.g Pullman's 'Northern Lights' maybe, or Naidoo's 'The Other Side of Truth'? Or maybe you could use extracts from 'The Curious Incident. . '?
    What if one parent objects to a text? Would you have to scrap the idea or would alternative arrangements have to be made for their child? I know I'd say no, and I'd be unhappy if my child was made to feel 'odd' because other parents didn't mind.

3. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Just before Christmas I did Northern Lights with my top set Year 7. They LOVED it. Tried to sneak books home, requested the trilogy for Xmas etc. and this isn't a leafy lane school! It really stretches them (loads of work to do around vocab etc.) but there are a few hairy moments - a reference to the castrati (castration!) towards the end which raised a few questions! A word of caution though - it took them a while to get into it but once they got going they loved it (happily reading 60 pages for homework!) but, even with reading homeworks, it was a close call to finish it in 7 weeks - literally, one lesson before the end of term. I had to minimise any activities around it (DARTS etc.) so was good old fashioned English teaching of just reading the book! I did accents etc. for the characters to bring it alive and encouraged kids to do the same; but there is a good audio book if you wanted some assistance! I have heard of some schemes that integrate the play version (performed at the National) and the film to ensure you can chunk the lessons and still get to the end, but this would take some forward planning.

4. Hi,
    Yes, I agree with Northern Lights as a good text. I would strenuously oppose the idea of my 11 year old son being taught a text at school with explicit language in it - and I'm fairly easy going!