1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parental guidance on curriculum ks2

Discussion in 'History' started by gilly33, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Please tell me if there is a particular order in which the topics for ks2 History are delivered or if each school determines order. My daughter loves history and I have copied many of the resources here. As she is only starting y3 in september I wouldn't want to start anything not covered until later. I thought visiting museums and galleries during the holidays would suffice but bless her she can't get enough. I loved history at school but tutoring or supporting the curriculum is a different matter. A project I could cover over the next few weeks would help
    Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

2. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Hi gilly33, I'm not a primary teacher but I've had a lot of insight into the primary history curriculum. Essentially schools have a list of essential content that they need to cover, but it is up to individual schools how they cover this and in what order. The National Curriculum website should help: http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-1-and-2/subjects/history/keystage2/index.aspx.
    For British history, the current essentials are: the Romans, Anglo-Saxons and Vikings; Britain and the wider world in
    Tudor times; and either Victorian Britain or Britain since 1930. For non-British history, they need to cover the Ancient Greeks and either Ancient Egypt, Ancient Sumer, the Assyrian Empire, the Indus Valley, the Maya, Benin, or the Aztecs (I think Ancient Egypt and the Aztecs are the most popular amongst those).
    Perhaps you could look at a project that focuses on some of the gaps? Medieval Britain and the 17th and 18th centuries are probably safe if you want to avoid repetition.
    Good luck - I really admire your commitment to keep your daughter's fascination with history alive!