1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

parental complaints

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by tree1568, Dec 12, 2019.

1. tree1568

tree1568 New commenter

HoD has informed me that a parent again has complained about me for not giving her son a test. I didn't give him one for 30 seconds because I was waiting for the people around him to be quiet, the test is also for me only and of no importance. The day before another parent had said I'd called her child pathetic and that he needed to grow up, obviously, I didn't.

Is this what teaching is? A never-ending torrent of complaints and pettiness? I could have told my family a teacher his me and my mum would have just responded "you shouldn't be a little **** then"

2. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I once had a complaint about not giving child extra time for Sen. It was a speaking test and was 2 mins long approx. The extra time would have been less than 30 seconds. Child got 100% anyway.

3. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

May I make a suggestion? Set up a folder as part of your email account with a title like "Why I still do this s***". I have one myself. Save the emails you get that say thank you. There won't be many, as ours is a profession that doesn't necessarily lend itself towards receiving thanks easily. But when you get them it makes it easier to see past the rubbish ones.

For every parent that complains about your test, there will be a dozen more that are entirely happy with how there kid has progressed. For every moan, read a dozen unspoken words of thanks and support. And, somewhere in there, is the kid who looks forward to your lessons - the one who takes away more than just the content of your lessons. We won't always hear from them, but they will be there. Somewhere. Would that it were different. Remember, you make a difference every day with what you do.

4. install

install Star commenter

Consider having support in the classes where parents are complaining. You cannot beat back up from adult support.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I have one of these, though I call it 'nice to read'.

Flanks and streetno9 like this.
  6. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

That's probably a little more server friendly. You can guess the sort of day I was having when I named the folder...

7. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I keep a memory box in my office, and at the end of each year I put things I have been given through the year in it.