1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

parental complaints

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by casper, Mar 14, 2012.

1. casper

casper New commenter

Two parents have complained about me. These are two students who are very badly behaved. I had no idea until I was asked to see the |Head. One of the pupils has been harassing me around school. Witnessed by members of staff. The one causing the trouble was a no show at parents evening. I now apparently have to have a meeting with the Head and have it minuted. These pupils behaved badly last year although I did not teach them. One pupil is out of other lessons.I am really upset, this is so spiteful . Please advise.

2. casper

casper New commenter

Two parents have complained about me. These are two students who are very badly behaved. I had no idea until I was asked to see the |Head. One of the pupils has been harassing me around school. Witnessed by members of staff. The one causing the trouble was a no show at parents evening. I now apparently have to have a meeting with the Head and have it minuted. These pupils behaved badly last year although I did not teach them. One pupil is out of other lessons.I am really upset, this is so spiteful . Please advise.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

One hopes that the meeting with the head is for you to give them the background, so that they can come to an informed picture of what the problem might be.
    Given the suggestion of minuting the meeting, that makes it rather more formal, and it would be entirely reasonable to ask to have a colleague present (school union rep might be appropriate, or HoD - especially if they're in the picture about the students' behaviour for you, or the colleague who had them last year).

4. pizza

pizza New commenter

Do you have a written referral system whereby teachers log concerns about a pupil. Do you have access to behavioural records. If so, see if you can obtain these files as backup.

5. casper

casper New commenter

Yes, I have. Also e mails I have sent expressing concern. My NQT had huge problems with these pupils who made her ill and she left.

6. It is as well to have the meeting minuted. Put everything you need to say on the record. Prepare a statement about your own experiences and concerns and include supporting evidence. If nothing of substance can be proved against you, ask at the end of the meeting about the support you can expect from the school to ensure that these students are effectively dealt with in future.

7. casper

casper New commenter

Thank you. There is currently a member of staff off with stress due to poor treatment from pupils. Bless you thank you all of you for taking the time to reply.

8. happydavid

happydavid New commenter

Jackspeak....

This really is excellent advice.

9. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

As others have said, don't go in there alone. Your HT is supposed to support you, not immediately side with whoever's complaining. And as for minuting it, I get the impression your HT is a coward.