1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent questioning ability as a teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greenpaddy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Thanks for your replies. Met her this evening with line manager, having evidenced everything in her email. She is unconvinced that her daughter will achieve ok in her SATS despite making 2+ levels in maths and reading and 1 in writing. She now wants to come in and observe how I operate things in the class.

2. I hope she's not actually coming in to watch you teach!

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

This would be the point that my head would ask them if they had considered looking for another school.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Absolutely not! Do not let a parent into class to watch you teach. Refuse to have her if the head has suggested it.

5. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I have told him that under no circumstances is she coming in. If he agrees, i will not be there.

6. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I think you should always do your best to provide parents with helpful suggestions. How about suggesting: move to private school (where endless numbers of staff could listen to child read all day long); home tutoring; Mum applies for PGCE so she is qualifed to comment on your teaching; or possibly Mum gets a grip on life and realises that there are more important things than SATs?

7. I have no real advice to offer, other than that already given, but wanted to sympathise. I work in a school where I have at least 5 or 6 sets of parents like this every year.
    It is usually about them, rather than you. Some of them need to get a job; some of them need to get a life.

8. Yes, I like that too. Still, someone should mention that the word greenpaddy wanted to use was probably umbrage.

I decided not to bit my tongue. ;)

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Same as milliebear. She's probably just anxious. I have a lot more patience and understanding now that I've suffered from anxiety and powerlessness myself. I operate a 'reassure the parent and tell them how much I like their child regardless' policy.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

What is this? Should anyone be doing it?

11. I've had this (the suggestion, not the actual parent in). The head, I could see, was bending under the strain of persistent parent power and began to make noises like "well, just let her come in and she'll see all is fine." I was having none of it for several reasons:
    she was not a qualified teacher so would have no professional basis for her opinion.
    she was completely biased before even coming into the classroom about what she would see so would gain nothing from it.
    one observation tells you nothing about the teacher, the class, the child (witness some of the stupid Ofsted comments that arise).
    the child, most likely, would act completely differently with a parent in the room anyway.
    Deep breath and wait for her to move on. Most likely she will be the same right throughout the school. You just need to keep your head and remember she's just one over the years. [​IMG]

12. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Thank you whodbeateachehhr. I won't hold my breath as don't think she will go atheway this year. Waiting to see what heads response will be. Does not have a god record of supporting his staff but falls over backwards with parents

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I'd say no if some pushy parent said she wanted to come into observe. However, i have been stung by the 'offering to help in class' ploy. HT said I couldn't say no to an offer of help. Beware the Parent Helper, that's all I can say.
    I also think it is pathetic when HTs will not support their staff. You hired this teacher, you chose them from a shortlist because you wanted them to teach in your school. You should bloody well support them when pushy shirty parents start whining because their kid is not treated like a little Prince/Princess.

14. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

I had a problem a few years back with a pushy parent 'helper'. I explained situation to HT, saying that parent's interference was 'hindering learning of other children' , also said it was 'making it difficult for parent's own child, as child found it very difficult to work when parent was in classroom'. This was a slight exaggeration, but played on HT's extreme concern about progress. Good outcome as HT suggested that parent should 'help' in another classroom. Parent soon gave up, as didn't want this at all, of course.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Teachers complain when parents take no interest in their child's education, then complain when they do!! It is the parent's responsibility to ensure their child receives a good education, as a teacher you are there on their behalf. What a fantastic idea to allow parents to observe lessons, it should be encouraged.

16. oldsizenines

oldsizenines New commenter

Wow.
    Excuse me for asking, but are you a teacher?

17. roise

roise New commenter

What nonsense. I have no problem with most of my parents and my school has opportunities for them to come in such as stay and plays in the early years and join in sessions during science week. I have also had parent helpers who have been amazing usually because they want to contribute to the school. The original poster is talking about a parent who is clearly neurotic, and wants to micro manage their child's learning.

This not a parent who wants to observe a lesson so they can see how they can support their children's learning, this is a parent who feels they should be allowed to judge the quality of the teacher an then take any action they feel is necessary. What a nightmare. I generally try when I get a mad parent obsessing with their child's progress to get them to take on responsibility and to suggest things they could be doing at home but my school doesn't have a very middle class intake so we don't get controlling parent's like the one talked about here.

18. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Evidently you haven't considered this statement for longer than it took you to type it.

19. roise

roise New commenter

Is this really someone suggesting that children take home all marking on writing to share with their parents every time they get it.

20. We have open afternoons once each half term for parents to "join in" (i.e observe and comment on) lessons.
    Complete nightmare.