1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent not paid

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by katus1979, Jul 13, 2012.

1. I had a parent who started off as very reliable but after a couple of months would sometimes forget to get the money available. She had always been a very prompt payer, and I knew she was generally reliable, and so it almost seemed to become a fortnightly payment. But that was because I instinctively trusted her and she never let it go more than a fortnight. I was also aware that the family had other pressing issues at the time.
    However, if it had gone on longer than two sessions without payment then I would have said that I would not return until I was fully paid up. If the money hadn't shown up within a specified, realistic time, then I would give the slot to someone else.
    What did the parent say about the money?

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

Hi thanks for coming back to me.
    The learner comes to my house, and they live about five minutes walk away. She seemed rather unapologetic about it and said that she would drop a cheque into me soon, (two days ago) but no sign so far. I did send her my T&Cs at the outset, saying that I normally took payment on the same day the tuition takes place.
    In a general sense I do trust this parent, but I don't think she attaches as much importance to paying up promptly as I would. I intend to send her an email by way of gentle reminder before our next lesson if she has still not paid. If she doesn't settle in full then, then I will ask her to settle within the next two days (it being the end of term anyway).

3. Don't be taken for a ride. You're not a social service. Either they pay every time or they go somewhere else.

4. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

I have a parent whose child has stopped coming to the joint sessions with another child. I am owed 3 sessions and really should text her today but why do I feel bad about it?

5. Just demand your money. They're taking you for a ride. If they don't pay, dump them and write them off as a bad loss. Insist on payment every session, or they find some other mug to string along.

6. angiebabe

I think I've already been dumped bob.
    Don't like the idea of 'demanding' but will text and let her know.

7. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

I am glad to say that my forgetful parent has now paid, and I genuinely believe that it did just slip her mind.
    But I have done a lot of thinking and asking around in the meantime, including a colleague at work whose child has a tutor. The consensus is this: this is your work, not your hobby, so you don't have to be 'nice' but you do need to be businesslike. Send her an email, not a text - that is too informal. Request payment by a certain date (sooner, rather than later). If payment does not arrive, follow it up with a formal letter and then another one a week later. Be persistent. Your parent should be embarrassed and ashamed to be treating you in this way, and you should not allow it. In the long run, you may be on a hiding to nothing, but it makes the expectation clear.

8. angiebabe

I spoke with parent of pupil and siblings I have tutored for 3yrs now and asked if S had said anything. She said that S had asked if she owed me anything. I told her yes and how much so she will convey the message. Would just have preferred S to text me (don't know her email) but they are very 'casual' people so hopefully the money will be forthcoming.
    Shame about the little boy however because he really is special needs and could do with my help.