1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent helpers on school trips

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by fulloffun, Apr 6, 2011.

1. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Better still don't let them go on trip [​IMG]

2. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

The parent

3. Thank you - think I've let this go on to long... the idea of helping seems to be absent and I really need to make this clearer, think it's become confused this year as we've had quite a few events where families have been invited to work alongside their child to share the learning.

4. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

We have actually almost made it a policy in our school that parent helpers do not work in the class where their child is.This came about because I felt that my reception children were not settled enough to have their parent in with us as we saw what you are describing,either the parent comendering their child and 'doing ' for them or the child sticking next to the parent and not mixing or playing with other children.
    It works well the parents who come in to help have taken it on board ( there again we only have 4 we have 4 classes)
    School trips are different if you need all the help you can get, we have started using governors and we juggle TA's from other classes so we don't have to use parent helpers.

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We always make it clear from the start that parents will not be in a group with their children. If that does not sort out that particular parent, then I think I would not accept their invitation to help again.

6. will make sure my next trip is full of actual helpers somehow - we are not inundated with committed helpers so will need to prepare carefully! beter start planning now.

7. We also have a policy of parent helpers not coming on trips with the class that their child is in. It makes a big difference.

8. I took some children to the seaside last week. It's my 2nd year of teaching practice and I've taken the children on four school trips previously, all of which have gone fine - this is the first time I had gone to the seaside. We had two parent helpers, the teaching assistant and I for 24 x 5 or 6 year olds.
    I've been beating myself up about it because we were on the beach building sandcastles - when one of the parent 'helpers' suggested going for a walk closer to the sea, as we were very far away from it. I made a bad call - and said that one adult could take six children down closer to the sea for a little walk, and then come back. So the assistant, and the one parent helper took 6 children each down to look at the sea.
    The adult helper, (who I made the mistake of allowing to be with her son)..didn't come back - and when I looked over she was taking the children on some rocks close to the sea!!! She was too far away to call back - the assistant went to get her to bring her back.
    I see that that numerous decisions were badly made during the day - allowing her to be with her son, and allowing a parent to take six children to the sea (but I said just walk to the sea and then back again so I guess I thought it would be a harmless, pleasant experience for the children).
    The 'helper' in question caused problems all day - in fact on the coach she insisted on letting some of the children on her lap with the seatbelt on (until I told her not to do it). In the past, I realise I have been blessed to have parent helpers with a decent amount of common sense.
    As I am still relatively new to the profession - can someone advise me whether I am 'allowed' to let children go off with a parent 6:1 for 10 minutes or so so I suppose I assumed that they were allowed to be 'in charge' of 6 children?...although of course I see that I am responsable for the children.
    Any feedback would be appreciated - I'm feeling very down on myself for letting all this happen and just want to be clear for future trips.
    Thanks!!

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We ask parents to be responsible for their own child only which is why all parents are invited on trips

10. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

We do the same as you Msz. It meant 4 coaches for our summer trip this year (we have 100 nursery children) and good fun was had by all. In a primary school you can ask parents to help in a different class to their child, in a nursery school you can't. I think it would be very hard for parents and children in EYs if they can't be with each other.

11. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I cannot believe all this! Surely one of the perks of actually volunteering to come on a trip is getting to be with your own child! For goodness sake. I have never had any problems like this and I always allow the children to be with their parent.
    What we do as a school is give the parents written instructions about our expectations and we go over it verbally. If I see a group getting a bit lively, it's not hard to say that to the parent.

These parents are doing you a favour, you could be a bit more grateful. If you are aware of a parent who isn't capable of caring for a group, don't ask them to come.

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We only do it in nursery and reception because we feel both parents and children enjoy the visit and feel happier together.
    In my Y2 class I have arranged trips to fit in with my PPA so that effectively I was an extra adult and invited some final year students along to make up the ratio.

13. Like Msz do most trips in my PPA time so I am an additional adult. We have a school policy that parents can only go on trips with children in other classes. If we do need to take a parent then they are not counted as part of our child/adult ratio.
    We have lots of activities for parents to come in to work with their children in school but have found through experience that children have a better time when their parents are not on the trip.

14. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

We only take parents who are CRB'd. When the children start I usually mention at induction that if they might want to help in scholl to get the CRB done ready. We have just had a Foundation trip with 50 children . in groups of 2, 3, 4,or 5 depending on the children's needs and took half staff including 2 teachers T.A.s and students and half parents and grandparents (all CRB'd. The parents were given a brief meeting beforehand so they knew the plan for the day and that they wouldn't have their own child. Several said they hoped they wouldn't have their own child. One child whose parent was helping had told her mother she didn't want to be with her as she wanted to be grown up by herself.It all worked well and everyone enjoyed it.