1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon4582, Feb 1, 2011.

1. How much help and support do you expect from your parents?
    Do you encourage it?
    At what point does help become interference?

2. I expect parents to read with their child. I expect parents to encourage their child and support them in homework. I expect a parent to support me with decisions about a child to support their learning/behaviour in class and at home. I encourage parents who take an interest in their child.
    Why do you ask?

3. Curiosity [​IMG]

4. Can a parent be too enthusiastic about their childs learning? At what point do you tell the parent to step back and have you?
    Again, just wondering [​IMG]

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I am on both sides of the fence. I have QTS myself, not primary, and I have been completely ignored by the classteacher and then asked to step back by a primary headteacher. All I have done is ask what I can do at home that fits with what they are doing at school to help my child. I also know that there is a well known commercial phonics scheme that the majority of children are failing to progress through at an acceptable rate due to the way they manage and operate the scheme. Being polite and to a certain extent scared of repercussions I have said nothing about this, but I'm getting close to it now.
    I can tell you I am furious and, depending on circumstances, I would say this kind of thing to a parent at your peril. Is this the kind of thing that is covered in teacher training these days - dealing with over enthusiastic parents? In my day it was the parents who were not interested that teachers were bothered about.
    Be thankful for keen parents. Use them. Is it a Child Protection Issue? If not, what business is it of yours if in your view a parents is too enthusiastic about their child's learning? Maybe this parent feels you are not that enthusiastic about their child or their learning and is over-compensating, or maybe there is something else they are really want to say to you and this is there way of politely finding out what is going on as they have some serious concerns.
    Hopefully your circumstances are completely different, and you are maybe right to be thinking down these lines, but don't do this. If you are finding this particular parent a pain, find a different way of handling it, but not this. Instead do a few small things that will help all the parents to help their children better and save you some work in to the bargain. Schedule a meeting with this parent from time to time at a time that suits you to save you unplanned interruptions, make it time limited, answer their questions as fully as you can so they don't think you've got something to hide. Consider that they might be the brave parent who is telling you things that the others are not daring to.
    That's my advice, it might be completely inappropriate.

6. Help from parents is excellent when done the right way, I encorage it in my class but in a structured formal way. I think most people work this way, but have the parents come in for specific reasons, such as reading groups or maths groups. When they come in I have a set time that they start and finish and a specific task that I would like them to do. This makes their help valuable and focused, plus parents like knowing what they need to do when they get there.

I believe help becomes interference as soon as it's not on your terms, if the parents are coming at random times and busying themselves then it can get difficult and distracting.

7. Not at all. I posted for all feedback [​IMG]

8. are you thinking primarily of parents helping their own children at home, or parents coming in to help in the school?

9. It is a teaching "profession" lacking in self-confidence that pushes parents to arm's length. Remember, you exist as parents delegated your job to you.

10. I was thinking more about a parent coming to the school (not to help in school) and discussing the childs progress, offering advise etc.

11. [​IMG]

12. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I would hope that a parent reads with his/her child and helps a little with spelling, but in my view children work very hard at school and need down time at home. They don;t need to have to start academic learning once they get home.I have only ever given the most basic of homework because the Head demanded it, but left to me I would send nothing home but a reading book.

13. For a young age, I agree.