1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent Govs - terms of office

Discussion in 'Governors' started by alecthomas1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. If a parent governor ceases to have any children at the school during his/her term of office do they have to stand down or can they serve out their four year term?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In an LA maintained school an elected PG in this situation serves out their term of office but isn't eligible for re-election. The legal requirement is only that a PG must be the parent of a registered pupil at the date of election.
    The position in academies may be different.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Welcome to TES, alec. Eight years before making your first post ...

4. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

When the parent governor comes to the end of their term, the GB could if a place exists and they feel that the PG would be worth keeping could appoint the parent governor as a community governor.

5. RW is correct to say that Parent Governors serve out their full term (which is usually four years) even when their children have left the school.
    However, I have known GBs (fortunately only a few) where the expectation seems to be that such governors will stand down in order to let current parents stand for election. The rationale for this was that the PGs were seen as representing existing parents, rather than (more properly) forming a representative group within the stakeholder model.
    I can understand an individual governor having slightly less interest in being on the GB of a school to which they no longer have any ties, especially if their child has moved to another school that is in need of a governor, but I think it would be a concern if any pressure was put on a governor to step down because "that is what others have done in the past".

6. Hello - for what it's worth, I have just been appointed (today) a Governor at our local primary school for the first time and the Chair has been very clear that he would like PGs to remain for 4 years, even if their children have moved on to other schools. Continuity is vital if the PG role is to be carried out efficiently, I would have thought.