1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent Governors looking at children's work

Discussion in 'Governors' started by sherlock21, Mar 20, 2013.

1. as part of a Governor's 'visit'. I don't think it's appropriate owing to confidentiality (and other) issues. Do other schools allow this?

2. as part of a Governor's 'visit'. I don't think it's appropriate owing to confidentiality (and other) issues. Do other schools allow this?

3. Is this necessary as part of the strategic role the governors have? If your head of literacy would like to provide evidence of progress to convince the GB that strategies are having a positive impact, then I'd say yes to anonymised work being shown to governors to demonstrate this. If there's no strategic value then no. Personally I strongly believe governors haven't got a useful strategic role to play in going into lessons or looking at books at all. The HT is responsible for quality of teaching, behaviour management etc etc. But that's my soapbox moment over! :)

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What's 'confidential' about children's work?
    If classroom vists by governors are part of a visits programme arranged formally by the GB then I see no reason why the governor shouldn't look at the work the children are doing while they are there.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

In my experience, yes.

6. harsh-but-fair

I agree, but it seems to be part of a GB's role to have a programme of classroom visits.

7. harsh-but-fair

I agree

8. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Do you mean any category of governor or just parent governors?
    I agree with what has been said so far but wonder whether something else is really bothering you?

9. Question; what was the focus of the governors visit and was scrutinising childrens work a part of achieving that focus?

10. accidentalrunner

accidentalrunner New commenter

I don't see a problem with governors seeing pupils' work; all governors have a duty to maintain confidentiality so they shouldn't discuss the work with anybody outside the staff they are visiting and other governors if they need to feedback to the GB about the outcomes of their visit.

11. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Like the use of the inverted commas! Some Governors are a rock of strength to a school community, but let's face it others are not!
    As with any governor visit as a teacher or a governorm I would want to know what is/are the objective/s of the visit/observation/whatever. If you don't know what it is/they are then don't go though the school gates.
    Simples.
    Do they know what they are looking for?
    What training have they undertaken to assess the learning (and to understand the teaching underpinning it) to get the child to that level.
    I am a trained teacher and have had varied governor experience, but I know that if I went to a fellow teacher's class and looked at their books, they would not tell me what I need to know to make full assessment of the total teaching and learning process. What could look like work of a poor standard might be a shining example of progress from that child when compared to their starting point.
    Confidentiality is important. The governor who decides to talk about the standard of work of a particular child or teacher could in the worst case scenario be heading for the courts, if they are not careful and schools have to then deal with the flack.
    On a less serious note make them out their findings in the from of a structured report of no less than 2,500 words of their findings. That may focus them if anything can.