1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent governor - what's my role?!

Discussion in 'Governors' started by numberwhizz, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hi, I am posting to get some advice in my role as a Parent Governor.

I have heard various negative comments from other parents about my child's teacher, some of these were before I actually became a Governor. Personally, I don't have any major issues with the Teacher although there are certain aspects that could be improved. The Teacher in question is not great at interacting with parents and some feel their children are not progressing well enough. I think the Head Teacher is aware there may be some issues.

Another Governor and fellow parent approached me today and said 'We must sort this business with Mrs X out'. I'm not sure if this is something I need to 'sort out' and if so what do I do?

Thanks.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Governors shouldn't get involved with day-to-day issues within the school. I would say that your only role in this situation is to encourage the parents to discuss their concerns with the HT or if they are of a serious nature make the parents aware of the school's complaints proceedure.

3. Thank you for the advice! I had a feeling it wasn't something for me to get involved in.