1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent Evenings - how does your school manage them?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Toosh2013, May 19, 2016.

1. Toosh2013

Toosh2013 New commenter

We are currently reviewing our parental engagement policy with a particular focus on parent evenings. At present we have termly parent drop-ins outwith school hours lasting approximately 1 hour (which few parents ever attend) and 2 formal parent evenings - one toward the end of Term 1 and the other toward the end of Term 4. We also have annual report cards issued in the final term.

Parental engagement is currently limited and we do not use any ICT given the majority of families do not have regular access to the internet.

Can anyone share the models of parental engagement used within their own establishments that work well? Preferably they will be extremely efficient, both in terms of workload and time.

Thanks in advance.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Informal chats where needed, on the playground or if necessary, phoning parents to come in for a meeting. These are successful.

Texts home about general behaviour and achievements (both positive and negative).

From Years R-5: Three formal parents' evenings a year

Year 6: Target setting meetings taken during the day with the parent and the child (similar to the model used by many secondaries). Times allocated, parents 'expected' to attend. High turnout (as in 95-100%).

Mid Year progress reports in February.
    End of Year reports in June.

We are in a high EAL area and also have many families who would traditionally choose not to engage with the school in such things but we've steadily managed to improve this over the years and now engagement is high.

3. Toosh2013

Toosh2013 New commenter

Thanks, that's a good starting point and lots to consider. For the target setting meetings in Year 6 I'm assuming you are allocated non-class contact time for this task?

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes. The Head or Deputy teaches my class whilst I have the meetings. The meetings are also useful to go through end-of-year expectations and standards as many parents don't understand them (or are really aware of them). Useful to have all the children there as well.

I should point out that this has been the first year we've run them and we've seen parents come who have never attended parents' evening meetings before, and who have since been far more active in terms of engagement. Very successful. Part of that has been down to implying that we expect parents to come.