1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent complained abt me whilst doing supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Wheezie, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Wheezie

Wheezie New commenter

Ok I had a year two class this week after their teacher went off after an injury. In my twenty yrs of teaching they are the worst class I’ve ever come across. The class was like a zoo. For first two days one child’s one on one was absent. I was given zero planning. The head has not once come to introduce herself or speak to me. The class is notoriously bad, all LSAs have been fantastic and only reason I returned. However this afternoon I got a call from my agency. A parent had heard me shout at their child through the window whilst getting ready for home time. They complained to head who backed parent up, calls agency and I told not go back. I’m fuming. Furious at absolute lack of support from head. I know as a supply we are invariably meant to perform miracles and are rarely thanked. But the head knows they are the worst class in school, every single LSA confirmed this many times this week. Their regular experienced teacher has found them insanely difficult too. So the head knows. Yet she has never once come up to me, introduced herself, asked me how I am or anything. I’m disgusted at her just taking parent word Not returning to the school is no hardship. But I am at point where I think what is the point. I’m 47, have three sons myself, one doing GCSEs. And it has completely destroyed me. And now I never want step foot in a classroom again. I don’t know what to do. I would like to put in a complaint abt the school and lack of support and send this to the governors of school . I’m speaking to my agent tomorrow who was quite supportive I know they like to just put it down to a bad experience and move on. They’ve allegedly got a full time temporary teacher there till their regular one returns. I declined the position as I didnt want work full time. Pls any advice be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Wheezie

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

bella2891, pepper5, tonymars and 4 others like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Some advice-never see your agency as supportive. They may seem to be supportive because they want you to keep doing stuff for them to get them some money. It is not expedient to their pockets if you become disenfranchised with teaching altogether, is it? So they will "there there" you and pretend to care. Does it alarm you to know that five minutes later they can also be on the phone to the school saying "there there" about how you were not great enough for that class? Brutal. But feasible.
    If you indicate that you will be contacting the school, your agency can suddenly turn sour on you, because the bottom line,like it or not, is that you represent that agency to the school. This is where they will not seem supportive because you will be seen as trouble. And in knee jerk retribution the school in turn can make the irrational yet safe decision to no longer use that agency. Because of a letter from you, so arises the injustice of being dropped by both parties instead of just by the one.
    Friends, family, us. These are supportive.

4. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I think it was just unlucky that the parent heard you shout. Don't overthink it. This sort of thing happens from time to time.

I have come across lots of terrible school leadership. I have been a long term supply teacher for many years and I have worked all over London. (Secondary).

I have come across all sorts of scenarios, I once had an argument with a librarian because she was rude to me and I stood up for myself. Some people think that if you are a supply teacher you must be rubbish.

It is really unfair. In the past, I had one person over-hear me telling off a SEN pupil (ADHD) and moaned about me without speaking to me first to find out what had happened. The job ended soon after. They just jumped to conclusions and I nobody asked me anything.

The agency is only concerned with their commission so I wouldn't rely on them for support. Just lick your wounds, treat yourself to a spa day or a present for yourself. Take a few days off. In a couple of weeks you will feel much better.

It is truly upsetting. I am in my 50s and no spring chicken so been through the difficult journey of being a supply teacher. It is like walking a landmine. On occasion we come across a blip.

Be kind to yourself. Being a teacher is one of the worst jobs in the UK and much harder on supply.

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It can work both ways. I once had a supply teacher in a class on a long term basis covering a maternity leave, she was a very good teacher and the children were making good progress and enjoying coming to school.

One parent however, took a dislike to her and started to make her life difficult boasting to other parents what she had done on Facebook. Despite me speaking to her indirectly via a class letter and then a face to face meeting she did not stop.

The upshot was that the supply teacher walked out and the children were devastated. I made it clear to the parents what had happened - without naming anyone - and they blamed this particular parent. I rarely saw her after that and I heard that she had a very uncomfortable time in the playground at the end of the day.

You are probably best out of a school where a HT sides with a parent over a member of staff whether permanent or temporary.

6. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

I had a parent scouring the local estate once looking to give me a kicking. The head teacher really backed me up though.
    You're outta there. Put it down to experience and never go back.

7. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Sadly some HT just want a quiet time and will do what the parent wants, you are better out of the school and once you go to another school, you will get your mojo back. Sadly there are too many schools with senior management who are PC, out of their depth and will take the word of kids and parents, without asking the teacher what happen or actually support the teacher, and polite tell the parent to impersonate a Turkey at Christmas (they can get stuf*ed), and i they do not like the schools response, they can always move their child to a new school.

agathamorse, tonymars and Jesmond12 like this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

This was always my response. It brought in a couple of complaints but I had a very supportive CofG who always backed me up.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

HT is a complete fool, that poor class will end up with a new teacher every week if she continues like this. Agencies are complete floosies, no backbone whatsoever. You deserve to be in a decent school.

agathamorse, Jesmond12 and tonymars like this.
  10. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

OMG.I'm secondary, but parental complaint because you shouted?

Words fail...

11. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I had several tellings off in one school for raising my voice.. (if I actually shout my voice volume goes down ).

Then I got dismissed for class being out of control... ho,hum....

agathamorse likes this.
  12. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

It happens. Just move on.
    PS: You didn't "shout", you "raised your voice", because they refused to listen to you.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

It was so nice to leave that school...

A bit irritating that they dumped me first but you can’t have everything...

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

'Vox parentum, vox dei'.