1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent coffee afternoon

Discussion in 'Primary' started by redredred, Feb 14, 2011.

1. depends on your school really

I'd start with asking what they think the school does well in general terms and then move on to is there anything they think the school could improve at

Be prepared for some teacher bashing if there are individual gripes but I'd be inclined to ask people with specific issues to discuss them afterwards following the appropriate channels

2. Hi Cleggy.
    I hold these regularly. The first one I did wasn't very successful as I didn't have a structure or feedback mechanism. For the second one, I used 3 sheets on each table - what we do well, what we could do better and any other feedback/suggestions/ideas. This was ok but the parents were reluctant to write on paper! So the third time, I used the same headings but this time invited governors and the SLT to facilitate the discussions at each table and do the recording. This is the model I now use but I now have a specific theme for each session - we have done communication, curriculum, extra curricular activities, etc.
    I then feedback to the parents about what has been raised and what we have done about it in the newsletter or sometimes in a separate letter. When I send out the invite/letter to parents I include a slip at the bottom for parents' feedback who can't attend the sessions. it is often the same parents who attend but I do try to vary the time of day.
    I hope that helps.
    W2S