1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parent and a teacher in a prep school? Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by tigger82, May 8, 2012.

1. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

I have applied for a post at a lovely prep school and if I am successful I would like my children to attend. The school was one we were considering anyway. There are another two schools which are closer to home which we are also looking at.
    As a parent the important features of school are the same as those I would look for in a place to work. Caring, encouraging ethos, lots of opportunities, samfe and well resourced environment.
    Do any of you have children attending the school you work in? If so what are he pros and cons?

2. Pros : Journey time, availability to support your child, understand the ethos and procedures in the school.
    Cons : Difficult situation regarding colleagues in the event of problems/conflict. degree of suspiscion that you're only there to get a discount and will leave when your child does. Access to staffroom discussion that may include your child !
    My own view is that clusters of prep schools should collaborate so that staff children receive discounted private education but not in the school at which they work.

3. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Thank you for your comments. I agree with the clusters having reciprocal agreements. Where I live there are very few prep schools (rural Scotland) and they are quite far apart unless you live in the city.
    The school is 3 - 14 and my son is only 3 so if the fee reduction were my motivation then I would be there for a while anyway.
    If I did get the job we would look to move when my daughter is old enough to go to school (she is only 1) because our childcare at the moment is fantastic and I don't want to give that up. So in the meantime it would make sense to be able to take my son with me instead of put him into a closer prep and then move him later.
    I think a few of the other teachers have children at the school as well.
    Just trying to think things through.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In the last school at which I taught before retirement there were at least ten staff whose kids were taught in the same school (including the children of the head and his deputy). That was an HMC school of about 1000 pupils.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Where I currently teach all the staff with children of the correct age come to our school, they mainly all live on site as well and get a generous discount. There isnm't a huge issue about contacting the parents, they either send the non working parent to parents evenings or don't come as they speak to us in school informally. Saves hassle of pick up being at the same time as the staff leaving here.
    I have been taugt by both my parents, in a prep school and a senior school, children adapt easily and will cope well with you being the teacher at school and not the parent as long as the parent doesn't be too parenty! i.e. doesn't make a point of finding them and hugging them etc!

6. A lot actually rests with you as a person and as a parent. You need to be able to distance yourself from your child's day to day school experience and not be there as a buffer against the probelems that all children face. I work with a teacher who has a child in my class who will often come to me and clarify which 'hat' she has on before she starts. You need to be sure you can wear both hats - many teachers can. however if you are the kind of parent who is going to overreact every time you see something happen or not happen to your child in school you could be setting yourself and your colleagues and ultimately your child up for a lot of stress.
    Hope this helps

7. I ended up teaching my son in Y1 due to staff illness and he called me Mrs S.... in school and as soon as 4pm came and the rest went home, I was back to Mummy; his way of discriminating. At home he would even say, "Mummy, today at school we learnt about Florence Nightingale and Mrs S... said..." which made me laugh internally! You do have to be VERY careful not to show any favouritism and in fact our children suffered the opposite - in a position of conflict we almost always came down on the side of the 'opposition'! My husband also taught in the same school.

8. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I waas the same, as soon as I left the school gate I would say, Mrs L did thi with us today Mummy, being one and the same person! I in fact was taught by both my parents in my 1st prep school, Dad was the DHT and Mum in the pre-prep.