1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pardon ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

That's interesting!

2. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @Jamvic

3. install

install Star commenter

I think it is @Jonntyboy

For me it proves that sometimes we hear what we want to hear.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

I must admit to using the phone for fun when I first did it @modelmaker. Yes with headphones is better.

5. install

install Star commenter

Maybe @Aquamarina1234

I suppose we think of it as laughing at ourselves rather than others. It’s a fair point.

6. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @nomad

I had just that conversation the other day. And it was both windy and Thursday..

agathamorse likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @modelmaker I got a much different result on this one.

8. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @stopwatch

I’m not an expert but that looks pretty good.

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

People were far more knowledgeable about speakers in the 60s and 70s. Well at least the hifi enthusiasts looking for perfection in sound reproduction were. It's a fact of life that no speaker is able to defy the laws of physics and give perfect reproduction throughout that frequency range.

Perhaps for those who weren't interested in hifi in the 60s and 70s, or weren't born yet back then, a quick lesson might help.

Quality hifi speaker cabinets will have three speakers, each of which are designed to be optimal within the frequency range they were designed for.

The largest, generally known as a woofer is great for low frequency bass notes, but to be able to achieve that it needs to be able to move a lot of air, so consequently has a lot of mass. This means it isn't responsive enough to move at high frequencies, for which a small "tweeter" is required, but the tweeter is useless at low frequencies. The third speaker is designed to be optimal for the mid range frequencies. There will be a "crossover device", which essentially filters the frequencies sent to each speaker.

OK, when I tried the test first, I used the speaker in the TV which I bought to serve as a computer monitor. The speakers in will be tiny, because that's all its possible to fit inside a modern slim TV. I could hear nothing at all at the lower end of the frequency range. I could using headphones, but they suddenly cut off somewhere around 5KHz. I wouldn't expect my hearing to completely fail so dramatically at this frequency. It would get gradually worse, so it's more likely that a technical issue is the cause and the higher frequencies are being filtered out.

For this test to be meaningful, the audio would need to be played through decent hifi speakers.

agathamorse and install like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @modelmaker

agathamorse likes this.
  11. modelmaker

Always a pleasure to share technical knowledge with those who might be interested. Most these days aren't that interested to know how stuff works, but you never know your luck who might choose to pick the ball up and run with it.

I find it rather fascinating how things have changed over the years. The period I mentioned (60s-70s) when keen hifi enthusiasts were at their peak, quality hifi systems either cost a king's ransom, or you had to learn how to make your own, though few managed to perfect it. The point about it was that it was as common for people to discuss the technical aspects of sound reproduction as it was to find out how to repair their motor.

People seem to have lost interest in that stuff now.

install and agathamorse like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Just what I was thinking!

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  14. modelmaker

That was in the 80s, after Thatcher's disciples saw the opportunity, or were encouraged to rip people off.

Seriously, although relatively few actually knew what they were talking about in the 60s and 70s, far more were keen to understand what the buzzwords meant.

I'd make a suggestion that it was CDs that probably killed it all off. Back in the day, it was possible to go to bed with a book about the issues that transcription turntables had, along with what are now called tonearms, and dream about how those issues might be resolved, but when digital technology arrived, it all became pointy hat stuff, beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.

It's simpler to let the wife decide whether she prefers a blue or pink hifi and give up worrying about the sound quality. Change the hifi for a gheto blaster if it suits the decor better and to a mini-system when minimalist was in vogue.

In truth, I doubt it matters much in the big scheme of things. Fads come and go as quick as the weather changes. What people once valued in hifi is probably little different to the gradual transition from scribing on clay, via the quill pen to the pefection of the fountain pen, all to be undermined by the invention of the iphone and Twitter, which rendered all the progress in written communication over centuries pointless.

Who needs to learn how to do handwiting when you can make a fool of yourself with predictive text and discover you can be a hit on twitter with just as limited lexicon as the Yanks and Australians use.

But this is all progress, so don't knock it.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Just before we got married my husband blue what seemed like a lot of money on some fairly large top quality speakers which he got second hand from a man who just wanted rid of them because of their size. My husband loved his hifi and he loved those speakers. When our eldest was about two he pushed his lovely fat little finger into the middle of the speakers and wrecked them. Cue much dismay from my husband. But it turned out that our insurance covered the speakers and he got a large and unexpected pay out of many times what he'd paid for them. He's got a pair of tall Mission speakers which he loved even more than the other ones, and which we still have.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

No but.... while I have only fainted a couple of times in my life, when I feel I'm about to I get a high pitched noise like that in my ears - which in Pavlovian style means that when I hear a high pitched noise like that I feel like I'm about to faint.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

I would say 18k is unusual in anyone beyond school age.

From my experience, my KS4 students can usually hear to 16-18k, I'm a little behind them at 14-15k.

agathamorse and Stiltskin like this.
  18. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I don't listen to a lot of loud music, which many of my generation do, so I may have avoided the damage involved with that.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

After Brexit the price of hearing aids is going to triple. There is going to be people all around the country saying "HOW MUCH?"

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Get thee to an audiology unit.