1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pardon ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

From the beginning to just over 1400 using my phone held near my ear & no head or earphones.

install likes this.
  2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Both my eardrums burst before I was five. Noticed I was having hearing problems about 10 years ago. Had my hearing tested at the hospital. " It's not that bad" they said "you only have problems in the range used for human speech!" I told them it was kinda important for me to hear speech as I am a languages teacher.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

My neighbour's just been showing me his new digital hearing aid-swanky bit of kit actually.
    So I asked him "What type is it?"
    He replied "twelve thirty".

sunshineneeded and agathamorse like this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Think I must mean up to 14000 having looked it up. :D

agathamorse likes this.
  5. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I only notice the noise from the computer fan at certain times. It's the same with the fluorescent light in my office. somehow our brains are able to filter out constant noise when they choose to. Which brings me back to this.

When I played the video, I could hear the tone rise up to 10KHz, but then all I could hear was the 10KHz tone. It was as though the 10KHz tone triggered the tinnitus, but isn't a measure of the extent of my hearing capacity. I did a brief, but inconclusive search for frequency triggered tinnitus, but most of the stuff google rewarded me with on the first page was explanations about the causes of tinnitus. so it needs a lot more searching to see whether particular frequencies trigger it.

As I type this, I'm now aware of the noise the computer fan is making, which normally I'm not. I suspect @smoothnewt's post caused my brain to switch off the filter for a bit.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's been so quiet during this time though hasn't it ?.

I remember being out for a walk in April on a nice sunny day. I stopped for a while and just listened - it was just so quiet.

I will miss that.

7. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Yes, there are lots of things I will miss about lockdown!

sunshineneeded and install like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

On that same walk we saw half a dozen Hares chasing each other about in a field and a Roe Deer.

I'm going to do the same walk tomorrow - I bet it will not be quite so quiet now.

9. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @Wotton

Didn’t know that could happen after having measles. It must have been quite a shock. But thank goodness they looked to remedy it. :);):)

10. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @jubilee :);):)

11. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou, I love wildlife @peakster in the country. You are right that once traffic returns it all disappears. We are a noisy lot us humans.

12. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @colacao17

I will miss the slower pace, the quieter life and the flexibility to work at home.

13. install

install Star commenter

I have started having short afternoon naps too @jubilee. I feel energised after.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I did it to the end. I also experienced the "bouncing between each ear" thing. I could only hear it in my left ear after 8000 and couldn't hear anything after 10000. Is there a diagnostic explanation anywhere?

15. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

20-10000. My ears are ringing now!
    I am surprised at that range as I don’t think that my hearing is that good, when speaking with people. I have to ask them to repeat.

agathamorse and install like this.
  16. modelmaker

Ear wax? I'd be interested in knowing whether the recording was made in stereo or mono. There's another of these "Hearing tests" that doesn't give me the bouncing between each ear experience, so I suspect there's a technical rather than medical reason for it. For all we know the recording may have been made by prankster.

Try this one.

install likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

18. Aquamarina1234

I got exactly the same result, modelmaker! I was holding my phone in front of my face about 8 inches away.

I was just thinking about an earlier post in which someone was wondering why it's OK to make jokes about deafness where it would be not OK for another disability. Is it because loss of hearing is something that happens to us all as we age, like incontinence (also fair game for jokes)?

agathamorse and install like this.
  19. modelmaker

For goodness sake! A phone will be worse than useless for this test. You need speakers or headphones that can give output within the frequency range the test uses.

smoothnewt and install like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Oh well, I haven't got either!

install likes this.