1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pardon ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 5, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

How is your hearing lately?

I must admit to taking my hearing for granted. I’ve been missing the odd sound lately, so thought I’d try this for fun. Turns out the children have set their ring tones to a frequency I cannot hear. :oops::eek::confused:

Have a go at playing the sound, then pausing and noting at what frequency you can start to hear the sound at:

Please do not regard this as a real clinical hearing test - it’s just for fun:);):)

My hearing starts at 107Hz.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I went to the doctor for a check up this week as I'd been having some issues with my hearing. He said "Can you describe the symptoms?"
    I said "Homer's a fat yellow bloke and Marge has tall blue hair"

3. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

It's the high-pitched consonants - t for example - that you lose first, as I realised one day when a friend asked me if I would like a cup of pee.

4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

196 -11,076

install likes this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Starts at 20hz (at the beginning where it is a very low rumble) and stops at about 10900hz.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    install likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @sbkrobson

That is very funny. :);):)

Dragonlady30 and agathamorse like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Thank you @Katzenjammer

You have me in hysterics. I can imagine someone else overhearing and splurting out their tea - :);):)

agathamorse likes this.
  8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

140 to 12000, ish.

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

You are truly super @monicabilongame. I think you’d be very useful as a suave, sophisticated undercover agent :);):)

10. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @lilachardy

I think you don’t miss much~ :);):)

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

No, I was wearing a pair of Bose headphones, so picked up the lowest frequency easily. The higher frequency was 10,907 but I got the zeroes in the wrong place the first posting.
    I'd be rubbish as an undercover agent, and suave and sophisticated is not me (see my avatar!), sorry to disillusion you. Wysiwyg, me.

agathamorse, nomad and install like this.
  12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

22 - 9124

13. install

install Star commenter

14. install

install Star commenter

Lol That’s okay. I’m not an expert - it’s all for fun.

I recognise your avatar, I think I was trying to see it in an undercover role and went too far ;):);)

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If you think your hearing is bad, try this.

Jonntyboy and install like this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

Very funny @LondonCanary . Thankyou.

I heard ‘Green needle’ but only because the word was there. I doubt I would have guessed it.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

That is the point. If you don't think of the words, you hear only white noise.
    Try it again while reading brainstorm.

agathamorse and install like this.
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

From the beginning to 11,900Hz

You lose the higher frequencies as you get older, I'm surprised so many can't hear the lower notes, I didn't think they faded with age, or maybe they don't and it's always been like that.

I used to do this in class with a signal generator starting at about 25,000Hz and going downwards, asking kids to put their hand up when they first heard the sound. They started way before I could hear anything and everyone had their hand up before I could hear it, including the younger than me TA even though she was no spring chicken herself, in fact some thought I was making it up.

19. install

install Star commenter

Yep - that is correct. Thankyou @LondonCanary I think white noise is also what my children hear when I ask them to help around the house also..:);):)

agathamorse, Jamvic and LondonCanary like this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou @Mangleworzle

My children have their mobile phones set to a high frequency ring that I can’t hear. It’s a fun experiment as you say. I must try it ;):):)

agathamorse likes this.