1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parathyroid Disease

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. After having several blood tests, it appears I have raised parathyroid levels and antibodies to the parathyroid. This goes a long way in explaining some of my symptoms and my kidney stones. Basically, if the parathyroids go awry, it causes calcium to be leached from the bones causing bone pain and osteoporosis. This calcium is excreted via the kidneys, hence kidney stones can form.
    The problem is the cause of this illness is still not known and is most likely an autoimmune problem. I am now being referred to an endocrinologist.
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has suffered from this illness. Thanks.

2. After having several blood tests, it appears I have raised parathyroid levels and antibodies to the parathyroid. This goes a long way in explaining some of my symptoms and my kidney stones. Basically, if the parathyroids go awry, it causes calcium to be leached from the bones causing bone pain and osteoporosis. This calcium is excreted via the kidneys, hence kidney stones can form.
    The problem is the cause of this illness is still not known and is most likely an autoimmune problem. I am now being referred to an endocrinologist.
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has suffered from this illness. Thanks.

3. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I don't have experience of this as a stand alone illness, but my father has kidney failure and this can cause raised parathyroid levels due to dialysis not controlling it properly.
    Initially, a controlled diet and medication to stabalise (sp?) calcium levels is used. If this does not work then there is an operation that can be done instead. With the diet and the medication my father does find that the levels can fluctuate but regular testing makes sure that medication is adjusted accordingly. Perhaps this is what will happen to yourself.
    I hope that you are able to get things under control soon.

4. Thanks for your reply. I don't think in my case that it is due to kidney failure ... I have had lots of tests, including kidney function etc after having kidney stones ... nothing was picked up as being abnormal, so I'm assuming it is either being caused by a growth on one or more of the parathyroid glands (the most common cause), or it is simply another manifestation of an as yet unknown autoimmune illness.

5. TC7

TC7

My friend had a benign tumour in one of her parathyroid gland causing her a raised calcium level. She had it removed and all is now okay.