1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paranoid?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by 9497, Jan 28, 2016.

1. 9497

9497 New commenter

Two years ago I applied for, and was interviewed for a job. The next day the agency I was using at the time phoned up to congratulate me on getting the job and the school was going to employ me through them. Unknown to me the agency had sent in my details with out telling me and the school had not thought to mention it at interview but had assumed both applications were related. It was sorted eventually but I spent a term earning a lot less money and it rather spoiled the job, especially as one or two of the senior staff called me supply.

I am now on a contract with a school but am looking for another job for various reasons (although the agency are not aware of this). I am still on the agency books as I do the odd days supply being P/T. My fear now is that if a school receives my details unsolicited through an agency and an application by me most schools will assume they are related, bin it as they will not want to pay a finders fee.

Is there anything I can put in my application letter to tell a school my application is not linked to anything received by an agency without it sounding too weird or am I just being as the title suggests?

Thanks

2. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

Hi. When going for a job I mentioned in my letter that although currently with an agency, I was now looking for a permanent role in a school, independent of the agency, where I could be part of a community, have continuity, build up relationships etc etc which was lacking on supply. I got the job. However, I also informed the agency that I was job hunting, for the same reasons, out of courtesy and because I might need time off for interview and of course a reference. The agency was fine and said they'd be happy to have me back if things changed. Just be open and upfront.

grumpydogwoman and phlogiston like this.
  3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Definitely make it clear. I used to work in a recruitment agency within engineering and had similar issues, usually companies would go direct if they could with a candidate and avoid paying a finders fee, so make it clear to any agencies that you speak to that you are making direct applications and expressly tell them not to put you forward. If not for this issue, but for the fact that agencies have a tendency to change CV's (not dramatically, but subtly and if you've spent a long time getting yours just right, then you don't have control over the information that a school is getting on you). I always ask for a copy of what an agency has sent if I've used one.

You could put something in the letter, but in my opinion, it should be enough that you've sent a direct application for the role to ensure that a school goes direct with you. If you're worried though, you could always put something in the email you send to schools clarifying that you are applying directly and you don't authorise any agency to send your details on your behalf. Take your details down off any job sites so new agencies can't get hold of them to minimise damage.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

My agency isn't perfect but it usually does ask my permission before sending out my CV...

Surely if you apply independently and the school has not met you via the agency previously the agency has no claim?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some excellent points made above. I would add that you could start the letter:

I am applying for the above position which I personally have seen advertised in the TES on (date) and am submitting my application in response to this advertisement. This application is in no way linked to or dependent on any agency.

Best wishes

6. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Great letter start @TheoGriff! Very helpful and exactly what I was trying to say (in a much more roundabout way!)

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I aim to please! ;)

Best wishes

8. 9497

9497 New commenter

Thanks every one for your advice, esp TheoGriff, will try that letter starter.
    Although I am still signed up for the agency I have not worked for them this academic year and I do have a permanent PT contract with a LA school. The agency I use if I need a bit of pocket money.
    I think the school I mentioned in my first post was scared that if they didn't employ me through the agency they would lose the agency.