1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paragraphs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Guess there are no exciting ways!!! he he ;)

Seriously...anyone had any joy with this?

2. What about a chart to stick names / photos / cartoons of children on
    "I am brilliant at using paragraphs!"

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

It's going to be our whole school targets, so it will be displayed similar to that anyway. Thanks for the idea though - really looking for an exciting way for teaching it!

:)

4. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I haven't got any exciting ideas but have you looked at the Grammar for Writing stuff for year 4? It uses Where the wild things are as a starting point. I've used it with years 4 and 5 and it always goes down well.

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Good idea - thank you :)

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Hardly exctiting, but I've often found that looking at how their writing plans are broken down is a good guide to where they should start new paragraphs. If they use a spider diagram, for example, then each leg of the spider would constitute a new paragraph; and in a flow diagram, then each stage of the diagram would be a new paragraph. Not very exciting though, sorry! This also lends itself more readily to non-fiction writing.

7. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

That's the part mine always find hard. They are great at paragraphing their non fic but when they get creative all the things I've taught them go straight out of the window.

8. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

For non-fiction I use Sue Palmers skeletons where each section is a new paragraph

For fiction, I get them to think about camera shots. So if you go from a long shot to a close up, you need a new paragraph. When the camera swings to focus on something else, you need a new paragraph. It seems to work well, esp for explaining why a new speaker needs a new paragraph (imagine the camera swinging from face to face). You could watch some film footage and get them to call out the paragraph breaks (I've never done this but just thought about it). I reinforce this weekly with dictations from Spelling Made Easy which might not count as interesting but seems to be quite effective!

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Thanks...as wicked witch says, mine use paragraphs quite easily with non-fiction, but when it comes to fiction, they are pretty much hopeless!

Thanks for suggestions - like the camera idea :)

10. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I'm just using an old thread to work out how to do paragraphs again
    Can't remember

11. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Seems I can remember. Lovely!

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Know this is an old thread, but I used to use the 'box method' in years 4-6.Not very interesting but effective. . .
    Rather like the Story mountain 'beginning middle & end'' - most children don't need more at th start of learning about paragraphs (and tell them how to add extra in the 'middle section' when they do).
    So we draw boxes one below the other. Then in 1st paragraph we introduce our characters & setting (can subdivide this for older children when experienced). 2nd paragraph contains our problem and 3rd the resolution.
    Separate paragraphs whenever new person speaks(but overuse of this should be avoided in story writing) or when you have a new place or time for experienced writers who move on from the boxes.
    Lots of reading, looking at paragraphs helps (like the use of Spelling dictations) and the camera idea is really 'neat'.

13. inq

inq

When I had KS2 we used TiP ToP paragraphing where you start a new paragraph for a change in Time, Place, Topic or Person. I used to have a large poster that I coloured in the initial letters. It came from the Teachit website and there was a variety of resources including the TiP ToP rap that went with it - all free!

14. I get the children to use highlighters on their plans. They are excited by the pretty colours (ahh to be so easily pleased) and know which colour goes in which paragraph.
    :)