1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paracetamol seem to be helping me sleep...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by gorgybaby, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I have had about a week of, if not unbroken sleep, adequate sleep. if I wake up I seem to be asleep again within half an hour or so. Normally I exist on three or four hours sleep, which kills me, but i am just used to it. I usually have a good night once or twice a week (probably at the weekend. I had a bit of toothache and a horrible eye infection recently and for the last week i have taken paracetamol before going to bed. I honestly think they must have helped my sleeping. I can't normally take sleeping tablets, other than Kalms Sleep, as I find them incredibly strong and they knock me out for the next day.
    Is taking a couple of paracetamol a night an option? Or is it just ridiculous? Would be grateful for your thoughts, please.

2. Perhaps you should ask a pharmasist this question. I used to take lots of inbruprofen for a bad back and didn't seem to do any harm!
    I guess it could just be that you were "wiped out" by the toothache and eye infections and this made you sleepier than usual. Do you take anything else for any other condition? That might have an impact on the answer.

Sleep well.

3. Thanks, Pip-pop. I am on tabls for high blood pressure, that's all. It is just sooooo nice to wake up at 5.50-6am and realise I have not only just dozed off! Or to get up to go to the loo and not still be away 3 hours later.
    My Mum used to be a dreadful sleeper as well, and she often used to take them. I have never been tempted until now, but honestly, the feeling of having had a proper sleep is fabulous. I just don't want to be stupid.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Plenty of people - me included - take paracetomol every day.

5. Really? My eyes are still very painful (and not very gorgeous, I am afraid) so I might carry on for a bit. Thank you.
    X

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I'm French.We believe in taking pills! Never done me any harm.

7. I fear the taking of pills, especially paracetamol. But even I wouldn't balk at a couple at night time! Won't kill you, and if it helps I'd say you got it cheap at the price!

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Pretty paracetamol you soothe my aching brow,
    I need you when my heard is spinning round,
    I look into the looking glass but none of them is me,
    It takes at least an hour to put me down,
    First impressions often lie,
    They often fool the naked eye.
    I hold you gently on my tongue and then you drift away,
    It's hard to read the writing on the label,
    I force my eyes out sideways but I can't resist the strain,
    And it don't help me, no it don't help me,
    I think I recognize a friendly face I've seen before,
    I'm floating far too quickly to be sure,
    (don't you despair)
    Take this inner web of twisted memories and lies,
    (There's no one there)
    I'm fighting for a reason to go on.
    Pretty paracetamol you soothe my aching brow,
    I need you when my heard is spinning round,
    I multiply myself by two in the mirror on the wall,
    And it don't help me, no it don't help me,
    I think I've lost control, I think I've lost control,
    I think I've lost control, I think I've lost control...

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

10. Over 200 patients treated for kidney failure across the US were scanned for SICK and asked about their use of painkillers.
    Seven per cent were found to have SICK, and a third of those patients had overused analgesics.
    So, of the minute minority of patients that ever get this far with kidney failure (that's failure), 7% had SICK and only a third of that was attributable to massive long-term doses of paracetamol, which 1g nocte is not.

11. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Sorry that didn't make it clear how dangerous it can be. Here's a different one.
    An analysis of 67 cases of “therapeutic misadventure” with paracetamol found that 60% of patients with accidental paracetamol poisoning had taken no more than 6 g paracetamol per day, and 40% had not exceeded the recommended maximum dose of 4 g per day.6

12. Thanks all for your thoughts. I slept well again last night (unbelievable) with no paracetamol - maybe I made it all up anyway.

13. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I should be dead with the aspirin/paracetamol/other that I've taken since childhood.

14. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Lol yes me too. The message from my doctors (I've seen a few) has been that whilst overdose can be catastrophic, sticking to the recommended dose is fine, equivalent to a glass of wine a day.

15. Do you have a source for that quotation, Torey? I don't believe it and I'd like to read the study myself.