1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Parables...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Apr 21, 2012.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Is there a Parable that teaches about greed and sharing?

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Is there a Parable that teaches about greed and sharing?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

The tax collector. Was he called zacciah, Zachius or something similar.

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of the needle than to get to heaven?
    Parable of the Widow's might - the rich pharisees gave loads to the temple with lots of hulaballoo, little old lady gave tiny amount, and quietly, who gave the most?
    Why do you ask?

5. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I want to look at parables this term in my class and I wanted to look at greed and sharing. Thanks for your responses :)

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

you could use other religions as well
    not sure if some of these might be helpful
    http://www.cist.org.uk/pv/bm/bp3001.htm
    http://bible.org/seriespage/parable-rich-fool
    from islam you could use the teaching of giving to those in mneed
    budhissm and it message of care etc wet

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

The story of Zaccheus isn't a parable - it's the story of the little man who wanted to see Jesus and couldn't see over the crowd so he climbed a tree. Jesus saw him and invited himself to supper, which shocked the crowd because Zaccheus was a tax collector. No-one knows what was siad at supper, but Zaccheus gave everything that he had 'over collected' back, and more, after the event.
    I'm not sure that Jesus told parables about greed/sharing - they are more about man's relationship with God, what the kingdom of heaven is like, and man's relationship with each other in terms of neighbourliness. The Good Samaritan is the definitive neighbour story (who is my neighbour? who is a good neighbour?).
    The early church joined together and had everything in common because they thought He was coming back straight away, but it didn't last long.
    You could try a search on Bible Gateway - I don't know if it has a seach facility, but you could try?
    Don't know if that helps!

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

Parable of the Rich Fool

9. http://www.rc.net/wcc/readings/parables.htm
    greed and sharing - the sulking children, the wedding feast (as already mentioned) the rich man and lazarus, labourers in the vineyard, the dishonest steward, the rich fool (also already mentioned?), the prodigal son - i also agree about the widow's mite, which i can't see on the list
    it depends what you want to do, really
    there are some nice mick inkpen books on parables

10. what year group do you teach?