1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Papua New Guinea

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by abikuwait, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:49 AM.

1. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

Hi all,
    I wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking at a job in PNG. The salary seems very generous so I am wondering if anyone can shed light on the cost of living and income tax. Included are housing, utility bills, travel allowance and medical. Any information would be invaluable.
    Regards,

2. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

The Ross Kemp documentary (like most of his, actually) was fascinating....although the 'Ross Kemp rule' would suggest not working anywhere he's filmed for safety's sake.

abikuwait likes this.
  3. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Port Moresby is not the safest (some understatement). Tax is north of 45% hence the high salary. Personally I wouldn't want to take my family there.

abikuwait likes this.
  4. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

5. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

I looked into it because of the high salaries. The salaries are high because you get shafted on tax and living costs. A friend who lived there said that flushing toilets were rare and she **** in the sea...I don't know where exactly she was.
    Sounds a bit dangerous too if you believe the interwebs.
    Jared Diamond wrote a lot about his time there in his books if you care to read them.

6. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

I've been informed by indo friends and my indo wife that the only reccomended place to live and work in PNG is Freeport, which is both an American mining Enclave, is a gated community and patrolled by armed guards. The rest of the country is said to be reasonbly dangerous and taxes are high (as described above)

7. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

PNG makes Jakarta look like Singapore!