1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paprika

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Feb 15, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Having returned from Hungary a few days ago I am now able to start thinking about what I can do with the goodies I have bought! I bought plenty of unique and lovely alcohols (no problems what to do there).
    The main 'new' thing I have to contend with is Paprika which, so I learnt Hungary is famed for. I bought plenty of dried/ground Paprika and I'm sure I can use this pretty easily over time :) However, I have also bought a huge string of dried Paprika. I have to admit that in my ignorance I didn;t realise they looked like Chilli's! Does anyone know how I use them in this form? Do I chop and use with a pestle and mortar? Also, is there any difference in strength.flavour between the yellow, orange and dark red ones?
    Any tips welcome :)

2. You can chop them, or you can rehydrate them in some warm water. There is no need to grind them (but you can if you want).
    They are great in a gulasch!
    The colour isn't an indication of the strength of flavour - it depends on the variety of pepper.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks CQ - I have been reading around online as well and and most mentioned using a coffee grinder. Not read about the reydrating but as I have plenty of them (there must be at least 100 on my string) I will try all methods. Goulash was the first thing I intended to make - yum yum :)