1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paper books vs digital media

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CAP77, Jan 26, 2016.

1. CAP77

CAP77 New commenter

Hey everyone

I was wondering if I could ask for some help? I've been a stay-at-home mum for 4 years and I have an interview in 10 days for a company which produces education material - predominantly traditional books and ebooks. My question is: How does this reflect the materials that are actually used in classrooms. Do teachers tend to still use paper-based materials and workbooks, or do you use ebooks on tablets or are you more likely to access website material on a computer? Any feedback would be great as it would help me feel prepared as to what the education sector actually uses. (Im my day it was still wooden desks, chalkboards and exercise books!!) Many thanks to anybody who replies. Caroline

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I use paper textbooks and photocopiable materials sometimes. I never use e-books, except to annotate novels and plays. I use websites but not specifically educational sites.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I suppose it depends on what the book is required for, and the price. I suppose ebooks make sense if printed excerpts are mainly required - and reproduction is permitted!

But another factor is the defintion of an ebook - many products marketted as books are, with active internet links and embedded audio and video really only pieces of interactive software. Possibly there is more money in marketting such products as books?

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

paper books. we don't have enough devices to use ebooks.

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

All of our resources are web-based - which I think puts students at a disadvantage. The thing that digital resources are particular bad for, in my view, is revision - preparing for examples, to some extent, but more so the immediate revision you need when you forget what something is and flip back to the previous page to remind yourself; that's a bit tricky with web-based materials, but even more so with video and other media.

racroesus likes this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I taught ICT and Media in high school until a couple of years ago. The main issue you have with prescribing digital media to students is the variety of devices and operating systems available at home.

Unless there's a single universal ebook format that works on all platforms there's going to be problems.

The beauty of paper books is the operating system is pretty much universal - eyes plus brain.

That said I wasn't a fan of textbooks - I preferred to prepare my own stuff from scratch then distribute it online using universal file formats like .rtf

7. CAP77

CAP77 New commenter

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to those who've taken the time to answer so far - it's really helpful to get your perspective. I'll keep the post live until next week and my interview:)

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Don't forget to come back and chat :)