1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PAPER 3 GCSE

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by 7flegg, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Any Paper 3 Examiners out there know if it is OK to have a vocal prompt in the wings for performances? Does it self penalise even if they stay in role?

2. Any Paper 3 Examiners out there know if it is OK to have a vocal prompt in the wings for performances? Does it self penalise even if they stay in role?

3. Hi 7flegg
    I'm not an examiner for paper 3 GCSE but; personally I have never used any prompts with students in exams or shows. I find prompts off putting and; I would feel that students would come out of role to ask for prompts even if they try not to.....Just my opinion though.
    I am an examiner for AS unit 2 and I wouldn't like it but, again; it's personal opinion.
    Nicky

4. I agree, I would never have a prompt for an exam or a show
    Pupils need to learn to improvise in role if they forget the words, or to just bounce on to the next line. The examiner is not reading the script to check - in fact, the pupils may devise scenes around those from a published playtext if they want
    I do not allow scripts in the room for the final week of rehearsals, and never ever prompt, even in early rehearsals; in fact, there is usually only a script in the lighting box for any performance we do
    Hope that is helpful

5. It is done but I would try and avoid it - they may end up relying on it- far better to have strategies to cover for mistakes amongst themselves.
    Does it self penalise even if they stay in role?
    If they need a prompt and are listening and repsonding to it - ARE they still fully in role??
    Prompting may an impact on their characteristion/communication marks but not the other two categories- if it is a strong performance overall it shouldn't be too bad but just not advisiable.
    However, it is better to have an off set prompt than other pupils in the group doing it - that's a potential disaster!!

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I always place someone in the wings as a prompt, in the same way I have a student operating lighting and sound, and another pulling the curtain - I feel it's important to give students a rounded performance experience of being part of a team, each with a specific role. I also feel it's important for them to learn how to use a prompt if needed, even though in reality they rarely do.