1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Panicking

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pastychucker, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I have an important visit coming up from someone high up in the LA.
    I am panicking to to point that I can't do anything. I keep on crying. I know I need to get myself organised but I just feel frozen. I've lost my grip on any sensible thought whatsover.

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Ok...
    1. Take some deep breaths. In on a count of 5 and out on a count of 5.
    2. Breathe in something pleasant and soothing (lavender is good but rosemary is nice too).
    3. Calmly think about the visit, what is it about the visit that is making you panic? They can't hurt you physically so...
    4. Make a list of things that you feel that you need to do before this visit. If necessary include the mundane (shower etc) as well as the important.
    5. Take some herbal tea (camomile with half a teaspoon of honey), helps to calm and the sugar will help too.
    6. Talking through your worries with someone who will just listen can help, do you have someone who can do this for you? If not teacher line or the samaritans will do, heck if they won't help I'll give you mine number I'll happily sit and listen to you go through your problems.

Take care [​IMG]

3. Thank you.
    Its difficult to say what I'm worried about. I had a very bad ofsted experience in the past. I think its harping back to this. I have lots of things to get ready for the visit. But I don't seem to be capable of getting them ready. I'm running round like a headless chicken. Achieving nothing. Which is making me feel worse.
    I feel like I just don't need this visit at the moment. I have so much else on my plate both at work and in my personal life. I know this is ridiculous. They will be at work for about 2 hours. Surley I can get through 2 hours. Still crying.

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Ok, well have a good long/ hard cry, get it out of your system. Think about why you're crying, is it just about what happened in the past, or is it combination of things. Then get on the phone and talk to someone, get the worry out first. Then make a few tentative steps to achieving whatever it is you need to get done. For example if you need a seating plan, lesson plan and data for your students (as an example I don't know what is happening) then get the seating plan out of the way first as it's easy to complete and so on.

You can do this, it just feels like you can't (at the moment) [​IMG]

5. Thank you.
    I think the best thing will be for me just to have an early night..accompanied by a good cry I think. Maybe I will be less panicky in the morning.
    I think a list would be a good idea.
    I think its the feeling of being overwhelmed by what I have to prepare. I have a rough agenda of what they want to talk about.
    I don't want to give too many details but its really important that I perform well. My job could depend on it.
    One of the things is about data. Its just an area I'm not confident in.
    I suppose its kind of that I have been doing this job to the best of my ability - without many guidelines or training and now I'm going to be judged on how well I have done it.

6. Deeeeeeeeeeeeep breath. You are prepared. You are just nervous. You know the area you are not too confident in is data.
    Can we help you with that? (actually I think you should go to sleep and stop fretting, but I know that is easier said than done - I have also just had the dreaded auditors in).

7. Oh, and if there is one area I can help with .- it is data!

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Right, data is a strong point in this household (I mean that), if you need help in that area then I'd be happy to, you can always email me the info and I'll number crunch it with all the additional stuff.
    However, a good sleep often helps, as does a warm bath :)

9. Thank you both - can I PM you?

10. baitranger

baitranger New commenter

get it into proportion

you will not die it's not poison

The hysterical bride in the penny arcade

Screaming she moans, "I've just been made"

Then sends out for the doctor who pulls down the shade

Says, "My advice is to not let the boys in"

Now the medicine man comes and he shuffles inside

He walks with a swagger and he says to the bride

"Stop all this weeping, swallow your pride

You will not die, it's not poison"

Mama's in the factory

She ain't got no shoes

Daddy's in the alley

He's lookin' for food

I'm in the kitchen

With the tombstone blues

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Of course you can :)

12. Of course you can. If I can be of any help, PM away xxx

13. Pm'ed you both. Thank you - feeling calmer already. [​IMG]

14. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Righto, you have a reply :)
    What's next? You have to be able to talk to these people, do you have some idea what you want to say? Do you want to write down some key phrases/ ideas etc that will help?
    Have you eaten anything? If not, get a bite to eat and have a drink - they will make you feel better.
    I assume this is for tomorrow - do you want to lay out your clothes and pack your bag in readiness? Sounds silly but it'll make you more prepared and you'll have fewer things to worry about in the morning.

15. Its a week away..

16. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Ok, even better as you'll have time to prepare and then hit them with fabulousness :)

17. You have an answer via PM.
    I hope I have not confused you xxx

18. och hinnie!
    We'll have you well sorted by then!

19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Can you sort me out too, please?

20. I heart TESsers...thanks, thanks and thanks again.