1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Panicking, I'm not going to be able to finish the IB HL syllabus

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ian60, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I've only got 6 lessons left, and I have not finished the Prob Option (still need to cover chi^2).
    And the Chem dept has decided to throw a 'field day' within the last week of tuition to cover lab hours (I admit I have no idea what that means).
    Its SO frustrating, I try so hard to cover everything...

Just a rant, I'd love to know if other IB HL teachers have managed to complete the syllabus by now.

(And if so.... HOW?)

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

'Panicing' doesn't look right at all, what should it be?

3. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Panicking

Why don't you throw a maths field day to get your hours in! It so frustrating when you lose precious curriculum time because other people pinch it.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

We finish the core syllabus by christmas in the second year, the
    options and coursework is finished during the Spring term and this term
    is for revision and any last minute dodgy areas.
    There is no great secret to this. It is purely pushing them hard so that even some of the kids who may normally have given HL an outside shot leave within a couple of weeks of the course starting.
    As for other subjects arranging field days during this period of time? There is absolutely no way I would tolerate it with any of my classes and I would not give my students permission to be there. If a particular subject area has a problem then they can fix it in their time, not mine.

5. Ha! Ours have a day out between the two papers for a dance show. It's a long day and some of them, despite being 16, are very grumpy the day after a late night.

6. Sad but true, I end up having to do similar here... I also do the Group Theory option as I am comfortable I can teach it in about 3-4 weeks... I finished teaching the core about 2 weeks after Christmas this year and finished the option about 1 week after half-term, then lots and lots of past-papers!!