1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Panicking about references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by helenc1988, Apr 22, 2020.

1. helenc1988

helenc1988 New commenter

Hi,

Sorry if this is a sort of question that’s been asked before.
    I’m currently looking at applying for teaching positions for the new academic year. I completed my PGCE in 2018 and have been doing supply since then.
    Basically my question is, can I still use my university as one of my references?
    Unfortunately, I only have one school where I do supply regularly enough to ask for a reference.
    Another alternative is to ask the Head of the school that I was a Teaching Assistant in for 8 years and left in 2017?
    Could anybody give me any advice please? Thank you in advance

2. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I think one of your references will have to be your supply agency (if you work through an agency) as your most recent employer for safeguarding purposes. I guess the school where you regularly supply would be your best second reference as they can comment on your teaching practice but I'm sure you would equally be able to use your University.

3. helenc1988

helenc1988 New commenter

Hi Caramel,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    I’m not sure if the agency will give a reference so maybe uni is best, thanks :)