1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Panic over primary assessment is nonsense...according to Nick Gibb

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 26, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Schools minister Nick Gibb writes in this week's TES magazine that teachers have been misled by union fearmongers about the primary assessments.

Not surprisingly, he stands by the need for the reform of the assessment in order to ensure that children leave school with a good standard of reading, writing and mathematics.

He says: "The STA has published exemplification materials as a guide to support teachers when making their teacher assessment judgements. These materials were developed in consultation with a number of teacher panels and are real examples of work by pupils currently in Year 2 or Year 6."

Mr Gibb is keen to allay teachers' fears over what he calls "reports of inaccurate teaching union statements" about the tests.

He adds: "Some unions have claimed that teachers will have to undertake more than 6,120 assessments for a class of 30 pupils. This is nonsense: teachers should not use the frameworks to assess individual pieces of work; they do not have to assess all six pieces of work individually against every "can do" statement."

What are your views about Nick Gibb's claims? Do you think the panic over this issue is justified or do you think that teachers have been misled about the assessment reforms?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

One from the Tory playbook via Jeremy Hunt.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's at times like this that I wish I'd kept a record of every "No, no, teachers have got it wrong..." claim made by successive education wonks over the last 30 years.

And it's always turned out that, in fact, teachers were entirely right.

delnon likes this.
  4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I think Nick Gibb should do a video in which he demonstrates exactly what it is the Year 6 teacher has to do - for one student. They can they quantify this accurately by scaling this up against however many year six children there are.
    I am sure a helpful school would be only too pleased to provide the student and work for his perusal.

5. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Nick Gibb once bought me a cup of tea in the House of Commons.

I had my usual grumble on how to improve special needs education.

The blank looks he gave me suggested he didn't have a clue what I was talking about!

One day somebody will ...

Kevin the Clown

Scintillant likes this.
  6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

We'll soon find out who is right.

[​IMG]

I doubt it will be the Eichmann of education.

Things are getting messy... I sense a whiff of panic

8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Let's have them all take the tests-and mark some. Teachers have to do so in addition to their 'day job'-and not many teachers can afford nannies, cleaners, chefs and whatever else MPs have.