1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Panic on the streets ....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by caress, Jan 24, 2020.

1. caress

caress Occasional commenter

I regularly visit the small pharmacy that's next to the big Boots as they stock heat pads that are cheap and last long. So I made my regular pilgrimage there yesterday and to my surprise there was a queue right out into the street and the shop was literally filled with young Chinese people buying up surgical face-masks and they were clearly panicky. Such was the demand that the shopkeeper was rationing them to only two per person and trying to get some kind of queuing system organised. The girls serving in the shop were genuinely amazed and said they had never seen anything like it.
    I'm really quite concerned myself now, especially with the latest news of potential outbreaks in Scotland. I don't even know if a surgical mask could protect sufficiently against airborne infection. :(

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

They may be visiting or being visited by relatives as it’s the New year celebrations from tomorrow through to February.

colacao17 and caress like this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The only possible cases in the UK are unconfirmed and in people from the affected area, not people who've caught it from someone else in this country. The disease appears to be relatively mild except for people with an underlying health condition. A mask might give you a small amount of protection but currently there's nothing to need protecting from. Remember, a lot of far eastern people use masks regularly to protect themselves from pollution (they don't work at all for this). It's a cultural thing. A nice little earner for your chemist!

caress likes this.
  4. caress

I know its a cultural thing but I just felt so bad for them as they were quite upset when they could only buy two per person. Fortunately the nice chemist guy said more stock was coming in today. Funnily enough, Boots had hardly any. I heard one girl on her phone saying frantically "No, I can't find any masks!!" so I directed her to the pharmacy in question.

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Sheffield has a large Chinese student population and many wear face masks. It is a cultural thing as Doitforfree says. The local population do think it is a bit strange but then on the other hand the air quality in Sheffield is very poor.

caress likes this.
  6. caress

Ah, so it is. I was lucky enough to be in Chinatown in NYC on Chinese New Year once and the displays and especially the dancing dragon were fantastic - though it did dance into one shop and the grumpy shopkeeper pushed it back out with a broom lol:D:D:D

Jamvic likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't think there is any evidence yet that coronavirus is airborne, so I don't see that face masks would help. It seems to be spread through very close contact, such as hugging, kissing or sharing utensils.

caress likes this.
  8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

And eating bats and civet cats...

caress and ajrowing like this.
  9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'm told the wearing of a mask isn't just about pollution, it's also good manners to wear a mask to keep a cold to yourself.

10. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Panic, as you say. By comparison between 291,000 and 646,000 die per year from influenza.

11. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

A face mask would not stop you from being infected by an airborne virus.

florian gassmann and caress like this.
  12. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Is that so? Not even a bit? I understood that virus are suspended in airborne droplets... do these get absorbed by the mans fabric?

caress likes this.
  13. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I think the point is that a virus is so small, no mask is ever going to be able to filter them out and they will get through. Like pouring sand into a colander, it's going to get through. You might argue that it stops some of the sand, but it's not really much use.
    This seems a valid reason - although the virus will get out of the mask, at least it won't be dispersing as far.

14. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Having worked with many people from Taiwan, China and South Korea, they consider the wearing of a surgical mask when you have a cold as polite.
    A virus is physically too small to be stopped by a mask.

caress likes this.
  15. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Masks don't stop viruses as several people have said. They do stop large droplets such as those in a sneeze. Apparently they work best if you also wash your hands frequently and thoroughly

caress likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've never seen any Chinese people in my small Scottish town. Until today. I counted four. I didn't think I was a paranoid Doomsday Prepper, but maybe I am? Didn't see any queues at my local boots though. Unlike my local Greggs.

caress likes this.