1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Panic...Governors report!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by carriecat10, Jun 16, 2011.

1. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hi,
    Do you have an action plan? I found this useful to use when compiling any sort of report as it helped me to structure what I wanted to say.
    Although they are interested in data, it is important that they have the human story too to give them a full picture of what is going on in the school.
    Carrie [​IMG]

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Are you sure you're the one who has to write the report? It mat be down to school policy, but I've been a maths co-ordinator for the past 4 years and have never written anything for the governors report. I meet with the maths governor, tell her what's been going on throughout the year, update her on KS1 and KS2 data and she writes the report.

As far as I was aware (in my school certainly) the governors' report is a report from the governors rather than a report for the governors. Check this with your head. I'll see if I can dig out our gov's report from last year, it may give you an idea of a format to follow? A starting point if nothing else! I'll PM you with it if that's ok?

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Even if it hasn't happened before, I think governors should have a very clear picture of what is happening with literacy and maths throughout the school and as a subject leader it is my job to make sure that happens.
    I agree about talking things through with the link governor. Maybe you could compile the report together?
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. Thanks Guys!
    I know the governors have to actually write the report but i have been told i have to report to the governors and at our school that involves writing about our curriculum area. I meant a couple of months back with the Maths governor and updated him with whats been happening, but now i have to do this aswell. All core curriculum areas have to do it along with Senco.
    I have been told the head likes it to be written in sections of strengths and weaknesses, which i can manage. Problem is i was also new at this school last September and i just feel like i havent got a grip on the role this year. Someone flippantly told me not to forget to analyse the data as well, but what does that mean!? I have a rough idea, but i feel like i am going into this blind! We are an infant school, so do i report data on year 1 and 2 and then what do i say about year R?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Talk to the literacy co-ord and ask to see theirs. that will give you a good idea.

Ask the HT if you can have a look at last year's to get an idea of layout.

Really just imagine what you would tell someone about your subject area at school and write it in that way.

Whatever you say will be fine. If it isn't ask the Ht to give it back to you with ideas.

6. Thanks Minnie
    I have asked the Lit coord and she is going to email me hers, but she is writing it tonight, so wont get it until tomorrow.
    Like i said i have left it late, have to speak to Governors on Tuesday. I guess i could try to get it to Head by Mon and ask for feedback by end of day. Just feel a bit daft cos i didnt realsie quite what a big job it is and have been wrapped up in writing reports. Seems everything has come at once.
    I have made notes of things that have happened in maths this year, i will put my ideas into some sort of report. Mostly panicing about the 'data' part of it. What do they want to see interms of data?

7. In terms of data they will be interested in trends and patterns. Have you completed any analysis performance of different groups- boys,girls,EAL,FSM... And how have you responded to findings... Do you use raise on line?
    Do you track progress and attainment for every class? Have you completed monitoring-observations/work samples/planning analysis?

What is in your action plan? Have you acted on this?
    Have you given any staff training/supported teachers?

Sounds like a lot of questions - sorry!
    Just some bits to think about or consider for next year so your role is developing too.

Hope this helps

8. Hi Surviving...
    Thanks for that. Yes a lot of questions, most of which i cannot answer positivitely, but like you say progression for next year. This years report will definately need improvment. Its the data bit i guess that i am going in blind about, because if i am truely honest and i dont think i would admit this in school, but i havent got a clue, that would be the answer to most of your questions.
    I dont know, guess the best i can do i will do for next week and make notes for improvment next year....haha! I am laughing otherwise i may just cry!!!
    Thanks again!