1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paneer

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sparklepig2002, Jul 22, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

My husband did the shopping today and has come home with a huge block of paneer. I have never used it before. Does anyone have any lovely recipes?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I looove paneer! Saag Panner (Cheese and spinach)You can use spinach, or fenugreek greeks (palak) or any other greens if you prefer. It is also fine to use frozen spinach for quickness. If you like the spinach to be pureed that is fine too. Use a big saute pan (non stick if poss) a 1 inch cube of fresh ginger (peeled and grated or chopped)3-6 cloves garlic, peeled1 fresh green chilli, sliced (deseeded if you feel you need to)a pack of paneersalt to taste1/4 tsp garam masala1/8 tsp cayenneoil1 1/2 lb spinach, washed, trimmed, fineley chopped3 tbsp single cream-Put the ginger, garlic, chilli in a blender with about 2 fl ox water and blend to a smooth paste- this is the masala paste.-Heat the oil and put in the cubed paneer and fry them til lightly browned on all sides (doesn't take long). Put the paneer in a single layer on a plate and sprinkle with salt, garam masala and cayenne. Set aside. -Put the masala paste in the oil and fry it, stirring constantly for about a minute. Add the spinach and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir fry for a minute then put the lid on and cook with the paste for about 15 mins. If it gets too dry add water. -Put in the paneer and cream, stir and cook for another 10 mins
    Muttar Paneer (Cheesy Peas as it is known in our house!)1 onion, peeled and chopped1 inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and chopped.oilpaneer, cubed1 whole dried red chilli1 tbsp ground coriander seed1/4 tsp ground turmeric3 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped1 tsp salt1/8 tsp freshly gorund black pepper1 1/4 lb peas (frozen ones fine as long as defrosted)-Put the onion and ginger in blender with about 3 fl oz water and blend to make masala paste-Heat oil and fry paneer in a single layer until browned. Remove to a plate.-Put the dried chilli in the oil and brown on both sides. Put the masala paste in the pan (watch your face in case you get splattered!). Stir fry for about 10-12 mins or until light golden brown.-Add coriander, turmeric and fry for another minute.-Put in the tomatoes and stir fry for another 5 mins.-Add salt and pepper, add 16 fl ox (1/2 litre) of water or stock, add salt and pepper, bring to boil.-Cover and simmer for 10 mins. Put in the paneer and peas, stir cover and simmer for another 10 mins or until peas cooked through.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

aaargh! Why oh why does it do that? Sory about the formatting, it didn't look like that before I posted it...

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

no worries-thanks for typing all that. Guess what we are having for dinner tonight!!

6. Brilliant, Si - thank you very much! :)
    I definitely fancy having a go at making my own paneer.