1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pandora's Box Observed Lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rt2012, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Help! My tutor is coming out on Thursday and requested a literacy lesson. My scheme of work which is still being prepared is myths and legends so looks at a variety from other cultures etc. I am working with a low ability year 6 (aged 11) class with quite a range of ability. There are 21 pupils in the class. I want it to be really invigorating because I have some boys who hate literacy in the class.

I was planning on doing a lesson on Pandora's box but want some help with planning because due to the placement being my final and scariest block, it is worth 40 credits!

Prior:
    The pupils will have looked at myths such as 'How Night Came into the World' and compare the features and see whether they could change our definition of a myth (mindmap). I would also have had a large mysterious box sitting in the room which pupils would be forbidden to look in - hopefully curiosity will get the better of some of them. I want to somehow bring in the message 'Curiosity kills the cat' if appropriate.

Introduction:
    *Recap on myths and legends.
    * Discuss what things they would eliminate from the world if they could - Place on post it notes (and maybe in the box)
    * Did anyone look in the box? Why would they want to?
    *Use website listed in resource area to do some shared reading with class and stop before Pandora opens the box.

Middle/main section:
    * Group pupils fairly with two groups looking at reasons why Pandora should open the box and two looking at why she shouldn't look in the box - Use A3 sheets and markers to record this. (How much time should I allocate for this?)
    * Use conscience alley for a select pupil to be Pandora and walk down a wall of pupils either side of her who give her reasons why she should open the box and why she shouldn't. - Pupil could make decision and justify it.
    * Allow pupils to sit down and with enthusiasm ask if we should read on and find out what happens...
    *Discuss whether they liked the myth.. are there any similarities with myths we have been looking at before.

Plenary:
    * Extension: Pupils writing a sorry letter or diary entry from Pandora?
    * Getting pupils to make a summarising sentence/moral.

Resources:
    *Post-it notes
    *Iwb
    * http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/story562-pandoras-box.html
    *A3 sheets
    *Markers

Differentiation: LA having more support and writing frame.
    MA: Using more feeling words. - How else can I stretch higher ability?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Help! My tutor is coming out on Thursday and requested a literacy lesson. My scheme of work which is still being prepared is myths and legends so looks at a variety from other cultures etc. I am working with a low ability year 6 (aged 11) class with quite a range of ability. There are 21 pupils in the class. I want it to be really invigorating because I have some boys who hate literacy in the class.

I was planning on doing a lesson on Pandora's box but want some help with planning because due to the placement being my final and scariest block, it is worth 40 credits!

Prior:
    The pupils will have looked at myths such as 'How Night Came into the World' and compare the features and see whether they could change our definition of a myth (mindmap). I would also have had a large mysterious box sitting in the room which pupils would be forbidden to look in - hopefully curiosity will get the better of some of them. I want to somehow bring in the message 'Curiosity kills the cat' if appropriate.

Introduction:
    *Recap on myths and legends.
    * Discuss what things they would eliminate from the world if they could - Place on post it notes (and maybe in the box)
    * Did anyone look in the box? Why would they want to?
    *Use website listed in resource area to do some shared reading with class and stop before Pandora opens the box.

Middle/main section:
    * Group pupils fairly with two groups looking at reasons why Pandora should open the box and two looking at why she shouldn't look in the box - Use A3 sheets and markers to record this. (How much time should I allocate for this?)
    * Use conscience alley for a select pupil to be Pandora and walk down a wall of pupils either side of her who give her reasons why she should open the box and why she shouldn't. - Pupil could make decision and justify it.
    * Allow pupils to sit down and with enthusiasm ask if we should read on and find out what happens...
    *Discuss whether they liked the myth.. are there any similarities with myths we have been looking at before.

Plenary:
    * Extension: Pupils writing a sorry letter or diary entry from Pandora?
    * Getting pupils to make a summarising sentence/moral.

Resources:
    *Post-it notes
    *Iwb
    * http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/story562-pandoras-box.html
    *A3 sheets
    *Markers

Differentiation: LA having more support and writing frame.
    MA: Using more feeling words. - How else can I stretch higher ability?

Any help is appreciated.

3. I'm faced with a very similar situation, except with Ofsted!
    Any suggestions would be highly welcomed!