1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Panama

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rambo12, Jun 26, 2020.

1. rambo12

rambo12 New commenter

Hello, awesome people.

Any generic info on living and working in Panama?

Is 4000 USD a reasonable salary per month?(net)

1 person working and a non teaching spouse. Could one expect a moderate lifestyle on that salary in Panama City?

Never been to Central America so do not have a clue.

Thanks.

2. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

Is this for the school currently advertising?

3. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

Try numbeo.com

Panama isn't cheap.

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Central America consists 7 or 8 different countries and while homogeneous in some respects they are very different in others - i.e. economically and socially. Panama is basically a US creation, the region was taken from Colombia to give the US control of the canal zone. This makes it very American in feel, as do the large numbers of retirees there. I only visited some years ago but I quite liked it, it was not cheap and some of the schools do not have great reputation.

In terms of travel: Costa Rica is nearby and is superb. Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala are - interesting? Even the old UK colony of Belize has its moments.

5. internationalteacher4321

internationalteacher4321 New commenter

No it is not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2020 at 11:35 AM
  6. internationalteacher4321

internationalteacher4321 New commenter

No it is not cheap, but looks like a good quality of life and an amazing location.

7. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

On which planet?