1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Palm reading from a penny slot machine.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Today I was at a museum in Basingstoke called Milestones where they have lots of old penny slot machines. We had such fun. I had a go on the one where you put your palm on a surface and metal poky bits go up and down to 'read your palm'. My print out told me, ' You are very sincere but too independent to please everyone. However, some members of the opposite sex find this irresistible and will fall headlong for your smouldering broody charms' This made us ROFPOL. I wondered if anyone has ever had a professional palm reading or had their tarot cards read or any other sort of 'fortune telling'. Or if you've had any startling revelations from a penny slot machine.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Smouldering broody charms? Sounds like a chicken on a gently burning nest!

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So. In English.

You are a gobby mare but some blokes think you're a challenge.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Think there was a movie about that....

[​IMG]

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I accompanied someone to a clairvoyant once and so then had to have a go as well. I get that your manner,dress and accent will make many general guesses sound accurate, and most people only visit the like when they have a problem; but I was astounded at the amount of things she knew about me that she couldn't possibly have inferred from five minutes with a total stranger - Grandmother's Christian name, a particular item that had been left to me (an ivory rosary - and no, I wasn't wearing a crucifix at the time), and a something I'd never spoken of to anyone and had been turning over in my mind.

I also visited one with a group of friends when I was a student. Once again, she was good at telling me things I already knew, but surprised me saying that I would soon be working in London, living in a house with a green front door and a portico, and travelling to Italy, and that one of the party would let me down. I had no reason to think any of it was likely, but within a year it all happened.

I don't know how they do it. If it's a trick, a scam, then it's a damn clever one.

lunarita and Lascarina like this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I once visited a fortune teller. She gazed into her crystal ball then ran screaming from the tent. I dunno what that was all about.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

8. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

It told me I was coming into some money! Always happy to hear that!

9. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Mine was incredible. All three cards mentioned my hard work being rewarded. The last one spoke of 'beginner difficulties' and worrying too much.

I just started a new job a couple of weeks ago after over a year of being unemployed, and yes, currently worrying about my mistakes and whether i'll get more regular hours :)

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I've read the odd palm with surprising accuracy.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

One of those circling your noble head?

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I think you're just very susceptible to such things. My guess is that she said none of those things in the way that you have described, you just molded them to your experiences afterwards in a brief episode of conformation bias.

Either that or she was magic

13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Wow this was amazing. I really don't understand how they could be so accurate. I mean 'fortunate change of life'. That could only mean one thing!

And even more impressive is that all this comes from a website designed by a blind man in the early 90s.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Palm of the Hand, pet.

15. grumpydogwoman

Fortunate change of life? Can mean only one thing?

Yes. An easy menopause. :)

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I met a medium at a friend's party years ago. She talked to my daughter (aged 8) briefly and said various things including that she would become a dentist. At the time it was my daughter's ambition to be a dentist although she didn't evidently do that. So, in the absence of any other clues was it some kind of deep intuition or 'mind reading' going on albeit not a prediction?

17. Flere-Imsaho

No. You just check out enough rubbish and watch very carefully for a reaction.

Hmm. I can feel something's troubling you - either work or family?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Dentist is very specific though and she hadn't mentioned it to anyone else at the party. Just a lucky guess maybe.

19. grumpydogwoman

20. Flere-Imsaho

I doubt it. We forget the wrong guesses and jump on the correct ones.