1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Palm oil to destroy an area the size of Spain by 2020

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jun 11, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

https://news.yahoo.com/big-brands-breaking-pledge-not-destroy-forests-report-152921271.html

The last decade [and what is left upto 2020] will have seen an area the size of Spain destroyed by demand for luxury goods like palm oil [I say luxury because we coped perfectly well prior to circa. 1990 when demand and use shot up].

The size of Spain.

Cattle and soya are also contributing agricultural products.

Soya has seen a 45% increase in the Brazilian rainforests. This is used for animal feed.
    Palm oil has risen 75% [at the same time that big brands promised they would work to cut use]

So the planets natural system to absorb CO2 is being diminished as we continue to attempt to satiate our ever growing appetites for consumables.

TCSC47 likes this.
  2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Yea, but those climte change protesters. It's not worth stopping traffic and disrupting people's daily lives over, is it?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You are welcome to believe that if you so wish...

[​IMG]

JL48 and hplovegame48 like this.
  4. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Hmm, it’s not just about politicians and their opinions, though. We contribute to the problem every time when we buy cheap ready made food or toiletries. Can’t be bothered to do cook from scratch any more, but that’s fine because I can buy it from Sainsbury’s, all made with a lovely coating of palm oil.

TCSC47, cissy3, lanokia and 1 other person like this.
  5. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I don't, as it happens, but a quick look at previous threads suggests many here to.

Oh but India.
    Oh but China
    Oh but it needs governments to act, not ME.
    Oh but they should protest peacefully.
    Oh but terrorists.

I believe we are in crisis and fully support they climate change protestors in their attempts to shock us and our leaders out of our self centred apathy.

hplovegame48, cissy3 and Scintillant like this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm with you all the way, @eleanorms.

I've always cooked from scratch as far as possible. Not because it ever occurred to me I might be saving the planet, only because what I dine on is superior to what I could hope for in a ready meal.

I shower and shave daily; and that's the only thing I've ever needed to do to attract a partner, well apart from being able to feel comfortable in my company and making her laugh.

It's beyond me why anyone needs cosmetics to get a date, but if that's all kids can relate to, what can we expect?

Maybe it's time that schools gave courses in charisma instead of the other b.ollox they teach?

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes of course. Two countries wuth a combined population of 2.5 billion. Only a fool would dismiss them.
    But the extinction rebellion was calling for governments to act.
    Yes.. of course they should.
    What have terrorists got to do with palm oil? Or soya? Or cattle?

One of the most confusing posts I've read recently.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Agreed ... ready meals and the easy consumerist diet is certainly a factor... in both environmental destruction and obesity.

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've just been watching the BBC programme from last night on plastic waste. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall visited 'petrol stations' and had his reusable container filled with tap water by staff. Maybe because of who he is!

Then he went to a haulage company and interviewed HGV drivers asking them to do away with their trays of plastic bottled water and opt for a refillable container.

I once did some work for what was the old 'Keep Britain Tidy' organisation at their headquarters at Wigan Pier.

In towns we found the main culprit was chewing gum on pavements .

On the verges of A roads we found plastic, wood, metal and tyres. The main plastic was plastic bottles full of urine. We were told the HGV drivers use their empty bottles to pee in while driving to save time and then they electronically lower the nearside window and throw out the bottle.

We didn't actually clear anything up we just ticked boxes on a list indicating of what we found.

I was just a temporary worker for the survey. I was supposed to work with a full-time employee but he wouldn't work with anyone else. He was a retired police officer and I was later told by other full-time employees that it was because he didn't actually do any searching about but just ticked several boxes on lists for each location.

My temporary work lasted one week. The job involved a lot of hire cars, hotel stays, fancy meals, drink and long lunches. I wasn't invited back for any more work because I was told I took it all too seriously.

Eventually I was dropped off at home on the Friday morning. We'd done no work on the Monday having driven to the locations in Suffolk and booked into the first hotel, little on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and left the fourth hotel for the drive home on Friday morning. I was paid very well for the week.

The guy who dropped me back home drove off back to Manchester. I expect he threw my paperwork out of the car window on the way home.

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

We are p ssing in the wind without Russia, China and India on board.
    So we're clucked.

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

When it comes to Palm Oil, new coal fired power stations and a government committed to increasing domestic fossil fuel consumption and a government that makes the US Republicans look like the Greens then the vandal on the planet is Indonesia.

12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

One big problem with palm oil is the loss of habitat for the orangutans. https://orangutan.org/rainforest/the-effects-of-palm-oil/ Orangutan numbers have drastically fallen as a result.

Food labels often state that their palm oil is from "sustainable" sources. What the Hell does that mean in this case? Iceland supermarket certainly think it is meaningless because they do not sell food products with palm oil in. https://eia-international.org/news/...om-its-products-over-sustainability-concerns/

So there is something we can do. Check food labels and shop in Iceland. Palm oil production is apparently more efficient than other vegetable oil farming so it needs consumer power to stop it.

cissy3 and lanokia like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

India:
    Carbon dioxide emissions in 1990
    606 Mt
    Carbon dioxide emissions in 2017
    2,454 Mt

China:
    Carbon dioxide emissions in 1990
    2,397 Mt
    Carbon dioxide emissions in 2017
    10,877 Mt

And the UK for comparison
    1990: 589 Mt
    2017: 379 Mt

But feel free to keep leading the ostrich brigade ...

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Oh but some people have lovely skin ....

lanokia likes this.
  15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

But @blue451 wasn't saying that, was s/he?

Unless I've read this thread all wrong, s/he is saying that this is what other people commonly use as excuses not to bother.

Personally, I do feel that none of us do enough over environmental issues, as we smugly 're-cycle' our plastics (which then get shipped to The Philippines or somewhere, to be dumped, because we haven't sorted it correctly)

That's just one example (sorry, veering off topic re palm oil, )

16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I throw all the stuff I consider recyclable into one bin in the kitchen and everything else in another bin in the kitchen.

Both are 50 litre bins and the non-recyclable is only a quarter full by the end of the week while the recyclable is emptied twice a week.

Basically, I recycle anything that I know will not rot down safely into the landfill.

I don't wash out plastic pots, I recycle any pieces of paper unless they are contaminated with food etc re paper kitchen towels after lunch.

I don't recycle used teabags but I've heard the 'bag' is partly made up of plastic. I don't recycle cigarette butts even though I know nicotine is poisonous to plants. Thankfully, I don't smoke tailor-made cigarettes so I don't have the filters to worry about. I think they are partly made up of plastic.

I really don't have the time to wash every piece of plastic and foil I recycle. I'm working on the idea some of what I recycle will be used again via reconstruction and the stuff that is contaminated with butter or oil or whatever, will be burnt or at least separate and not go to landfill.

I heard on Gardeners Question Time that the black plastic pots that shrubs etc come in aren't recognised by the recycling machine because they're black. They're plastic but not the right colour for the machine to deal with so they are kicked off the conveyor belt and go to landfill.

That's when I thought "terrapotta". All I need is the moulds and orangey/red plastic and I could become a millionaire.

Or better still a new form of 'plastic' that is totally biodegradable, can be printed on, coloured (not black) and used in all kinds of packaging.

It's all too late. We will poison our streams, rivers and seas. We will bury plastic on the water table. We will suffocate on this man-made excrement. We already are.

And worse still we actually export our excrement so it is dumped in other countries.

Nobody has time to clean each piece of material they want to recycle. It's just not practical. Not everybody can afford to buy unpackaged fruit and vegetables and few can keep going back to the shops every other day to buy more because it has a short shelf life.

And yes, I've been to Brighton and I've observed at close hand those insipid middle class snowflakes bleating on about saving the planet while not declaring their income and fiddling the housing benefit because they're too busy recycling, dropping their placards in the street after their demos and 'saving the planet'.

17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes, the same applies to 'ready-meal' containers. People wash them, put them to be re-cycled, and for what?

I fear you are right.
    We are too disconnected from the realities of the way we live.

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Isn't Nutella one of the worst offenders?

19. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Agreed, I’m very concerned by how world resources are being used up. And how many seem not to care at all. And about “green washing” of activities (eg renewables, which are actually mostly a waste of time, especially in the UK). Yes, I vote Green, and I want nuclear power. Yep, really.

On an individual level, I think we need to have fewer children (sorry, but it’s true), take fewer long haul holidays and eat less meat.

At a Government level, we need greater regulation and taxation of threats to the natural world, and resource heavy activities.

lanokia likes this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Can you provide a more valid comparison by converting to per capita emissions?