1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Painting room from dark to light

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

It's the summer!

With the time off I'm hoping to paint one of my bedrooms. Currently the room is a dark blue colour and I'd rather not spend lots of time painting it. I'm wanting it just a plain magnolia colour (currently renting and the previous tenent left it a mess).

I've heard using a grey primer is helpful? Or are there one coat paints that can do this?

Thank you :)

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Dark blue can be dull, I can understand why you want to brighten it up, but I'd check with the landlord first to get written consent incase it's in your agreement that you don't change the decor or you could end up painting it back or worse still paying for it to be done when you leave. I thought all rental properties were magnolia these days.

Edit. When we have changed ours we used a really cheap light paint as an undercoat, seems okay and that was years ago. *Lucky landlord that you're willing and able to change it.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Choose a decent quality paint and buy enough for two coats. Decent Primer can be almost as expensive as the paint, and you may need two coats on top of of it anyway.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

The landlord approved of it being either white or magnolia, the room just needs opening up and to keep it a neutral colour.

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

My sitting room was dark blue and I recently painted it Jade White. But I did have to give it 3 coats.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I lived in a house with a sitting room when I first left home. The trouble was, I didn't have any chairs to put in it, so I took the label off the door and replaced it with one calling it the standing room.

When I had visitors who asked if they could be shown where the parlour was, I had to tell them there was standing room only.

7. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

needabreak likes this.
  8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Jade white is lovely.

zizzyballoon likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

In reply to the OP, regarding painting it from dark to light, I can't think of a worse time of day you can do it.